PDA

View Full Version : avo spring size/lb (coilover users)

jamie gsi16v
21-02-06, 03:40 PM
what size are standard avo front springs on nova coilovers? mines wound down 80mm nearly rock bottom and set on hard and they bottom out really bad, what will be the best size spring to replace them with and the best lb?

im currently running an xe in my nova and going to be upgrading to an let soon so need to get the correct springs for the coilover, cheers j

Lee H
21-02-06, 04:35 PM
what size are standard avo front springs on nova coilovers? mines wound down 80mm nearly rock bottom and set on hard and they bottom out really bad, what will be the best size spring to replace them with and the best lb?

im currently running an xe in my nova and going to be upgrading to an let soon so need to get the correct springs for the coilover, cheers j

Different size springs won't make the slightest bit of difference to the shocker bottoming out, you need coilovers with shorter shocker bodies if you want to run low.

Stuart
21-02-06, 05:30 PM
300lb springs minimum

jamie gsi16v
21-02-06, 06:05 PM
Different size springs won't make the slightest bit of difference to the shocker bottoming out, you need coilovers with shorter shocker bodies if you want to run low.
surely stronger springs will cause less movement meaning no more bottoming out. why would avo make them adjustable to nearly 100mm if you carnt adjust them that far?

jamie gsi16v
21-02-06, 06:06 PM
300lb springs minimum

http://www.performancecentre.co.uk/p/sp_pt.asp?CC=1
which should i go for stuart?

Ste L
21-02-06, 10:24 PM
http://www.performancecentre.co.uk/p/sp_pt.asp?CC=1
which should i go for stuart?

get this error on the page when you click the link

ERROR: Bad Vehicle Type Parameter

jamie gsi16v
21-02-06, 10:41 PM
www.performancecentre.co.uk (http://www.performancecentre.co.uk)

go on parts search

suspension

then should give you a list of avo spring options?

what do ppl recommend?

Lee H
22-02-06, 08:48 AM
surely stronger springs will cause less movement meaning no more bottoming out. why would avo make them adjustable to nearly 100mm if you carnt adjust them that far?

Try it then nut been there done this with 300lb springs, different length springs and even eccentric top mounts to try and get more suspension travel, in the end I cut my losses and sold them. The most you can lower on them without problems is about 60mm, the 100mm figure is bull ;)

Dar
22-02-06, 09:57 AM
I have an XE in mine with 300lb springs. I've just checked where I have the ride height set to and its about 30mm from the bottom. I get no problems with mine bottoming out at all. However looking at how much travel the shocker has left, its only around 50mm. So its going to be tight if you have them wound right down.

The proper solution would be to get some coilovers with shorter bodies.
But if it was me I would get some 300lb springs and if it still bottoms out, raise the ride height a bit and re-test.

Lee H
22-02-06, 10:00 AM
I have an XE in mine with 300lb springs. I've just checked where I have the ride height set to and its about 30mm from the bottom. I get no problems with mine bottoming out at all. However looking at how much travel the shocker has left, its only around 50mm. So its going to be tight if you have them wound right down.

The proper solution would be to get some coilovers with shorter bodies.
But if it was me I would get some 300lb springs and if it still bottoms out, raise the ride height a bit and re-test.

That was the way I solved it in the end, bought coilovers with an inch shorter body and have got plenty of room now. Messed about with different springs and top mounts, tried everything but then the seals popped and damping adjustment broke so gave up.

Aamir
22-02-06, 03:42 PM
300lb springs here too on gaz coilovers