PDA

View Full Version : Engine starting when hot

Jon_nova1
20-02-06, 12:43 AM
anyone any ideas??

My car starts first time when its cold, literally you don't even need to put your foot on the accelerator to get it started, its a 1.4 carb, but when the engines hot it struggles starting:confused:

Jon_nova1
20-02-06, 01:43 AM
its a 1.6 carb with auto choke by the way lol

Dar
20-02-06, 10:07 AM
Sounds to me like the choke is stuck on.

Jon_nova1
20-02-06, 10:37 AM
I thought that, but if its hot the choke wouls be open anyway wouldn't it?

Dar
20-02-06, 10:57 AM
No - The choke is only supposed to be used on cold starts. Once the engine is warmed up the choke should be right off.

To give you the opposite side of the coin, my car will not idle when its cold because it dosent have a choke or any kind of cold start system. Once its warm it idles fine.

Jon_nova1
20-02-06, 11:14 AM
yes that what i mean, the butterfly would be open all the way when the engines hot, so if i start the engine when its hot the choke would be off anyway

TommySR
20-02-06, 11:19 AM
i had the same problem with my old SR with auto choke, would be ok in mornings but if say i stopped to get petrol wud be a pain to get going again.

Jon_nova1
20-02-06, 11:33 AM
yes, exacty like that lol at the petrol station yesterday

Dar
20-02-06, 11:59 AM
If your happy that the auto choke is 100% fine. Then start looking at your fuel/air mixture.

Adam
20-02-06, 03:22 PM
Sounds like choke problem to me.

johnnynova
20-02-06, 06:24 PM
ive got this same problem on my 1.4, ive got weber 40's fitted tho...

i never use the choke, infact ive disconnected the cable.

the car starts fine, runs fine, but if she warms up and i turn her off, she wont start until she has cooled down a bit, realy annoying in traffic jams if i stall it!

i was told it was a gear box earth problem, but when its hot ive tried connecting jump leads to earth the gearbox and loads of other places on my car and it still wont realy start.

so i dunno....

Jon_nova1
20-02-06, 06:36 PM
funny you should say that, i went the scrapyard today for an alternator and thought i should rob an earth strap while i was there because i never had one

Superluxeplus
20-02-06, 06:51 PM
Sounds basic but take out your spark plugs and check what your mixture is burning like. If the plugs are carboned up then your running a rich mixture and need to look into the air/fuel mixture for adjustment. Any decent mechanic could set it up for you on a gas analyzer.

Donova
20-02-06, 08:43 PM
My 1.2 carb starts and runs fine but I have to floor it sometimes when its hot (the engine not the weatherlol ) to get it started!

NovaB3ast
25-02-06, 05:55 PM
eaxact same problem as me with my SRi, and after it starts the car revs its t*** off!!
I have to put petrol in with my car running now, its murder!!

Riggy
26-02-06, 10:35 AM
eaxact same problem as me with my SRi, and after it starts the car revs its t*** off!!
I have to put petrol in with my car running now, its murder!!

are you having a ****ing laugh :eek: thats very dangerous

NovaB3ast
26-02-06, 10:44 AM
Well it aint blew up yet......lol
If I stop my car I need to sit for about 25mins.
Having a mobile phone turned on is dangerous to but does anyone stop outside a garage to turn it off??