PDA

View Full Version : battery tray rust

sickrabbit
19-02-06, 03:08 PM
Well of late it seems to be the norm to find rust and its brother rustalot. After the Nova passed its MOT 2 weeks back I was chuffed enough to deal with the rear arches using mesh and resins to correct the eyesores. Job done . As a reward ,I considered slapping a bigger amp in the bus , to run alongside the vibe 10 sub , thus picking the volume up a tad. The last job after rewiring the speakers , even hiding the wiring behind the dash for the fronts , was to run the power cable and fuse to the battery. Whilst screwing the fuse unit down I noticed a small hole in the seam seal , right next to the firewall. I poked it . It became bigger . I,m not amused. It now means for a welder to do his stuff and repair this hole ( its about 10mm wide and 100mm long ) that the MOT man must have missed . This is the stupid part . Rather than get the new certificate and return to the MOT station , asking why it hadnt been noticed ( rot is not a instant occurance - it should have been spotted near a load bearing member ) and it should now be dealt with ( if they wanted to keep their liscence) I went and filled the bloody hole with resin to keep the water out from the arch below till it can be welded ( asap ). Doing this has resulted in that i dont really have a leg to stand on :mad: I should have left it and gone straight back to the garage.
Turns out a relative knows a welder who,ll do the job if the area is ground clean . so off with bonnet , out with the battery and let the finest tool to man - the angle grider loose on the brown . Its been brought to my attention this is a common rust areas in the Nova - so watch out people.
Bloody rust !!:cry:

mikey14sr
19-02-06, 03:25 PM
Keep an eye out where the front chassis legs are spot-welded to the floor aswell, the inside of the chasis legs was never sealed well on any nova, and moisture is just held in by the sealer on the outside resulting in the floor pan rotting away.

Lee
19-02-06, 05:09 PM
I love rust, it makes the car lighter lol

projectcoshanova
19-02-06, 05:13 PM
Well of late it seems to be the norm to find rust and its brother rustalot. After the Nova passed its MOT 2 weeks back I was chuffed enough to deal with the rear arches using mesh and resins to correct the eyesores. Job done . As a reward ,I considered slapping a bigger amp in the bus , to run alongside the vibe 10 sub , thus picking the volume up a tad. The last job after rewiring the speakers , even hiding the wiring behind the dash for the fronts , was to run the power cable and fuse to the battery. Whilst screwing the fuse unit down I noticed a small hole in the seam seal , right next to the firewall. I poked it . It became bigger . I,m not amused. It now means for a welder to do his stuff and repair this hole ( its about 10mm wide and 100mm long ) that the MOT man must have missed . This is the stupid part . Rather than get the new certificate and return to the MOT station , asking why it hadnt been noticed ( rot is not a instant occurance - it should have been spotted near a load bearing member ) and it should now be dealt with ( if they wanted to keep their liscence) I went and filled the bloody hole with resin to keep the water out from the arch below till it can be welded ( asap ). Doing this has resulted in that i dont really have a leg to stand on :mad: I should have left it and gone straight back to the garage.
Turns out a relative knows a welder who,ll do the job if the area is ground clean . so off with bonnet , out with the battery and let the finest tool to man - the angle grider loose on the brown . Its been brought to my attention this is a common rust areas in the Nova - so watch out people.
Bloody rust !!:cry::mad: is this seam seal behind the fuse box underneath cos if it is ive just took my windscreen out thinkin my rubber seal was to blame lettin in some water everytime it rains....... so does this mean im gonna have to cut through my entire battery tray to get to the hole thats also in my nova??? i got pics of this hole in my pictures on my pc email me and ill show u the hole and u can tell me if its the one your on about which would help me too.. thanx dal lollyslover26@ntlworld.com hope to hear from u

sickrabbit
19-02-06, 06:41 PM
:mad: is this seam seal behind the fuse box underneath cos if it is ive just took my windscreen out thinkin my rubber seal was to blame lettin in some water everytime it rains....... so does this mean im gonna have to cut through my entire battery tray to get to the hole thats also in my nova??? i got pics of this hole in my pictures on my pc email me and ill show u the hole and u can tell me if its the one your on about which would help me too.. thanx dal lollyslover26@ntlworld.com hope to hear from u

Mate it isnt the same . Mine is located thus : looking at the cars battery , the hole is found ant the front bottom left hand corner,along the seal Its less than 30cm from the suspension turret , so legally it shouldnt have passed the MOT.
If you have any doubts on the matter of youre car , I,d ask work mates , friends and family of a good garage . Pop in show em the problem and get ready to pay the price ..........good luck.

mikey14sr
19-02-06, 06:52 PM
Sounds to me like you're both describing the same area, if you remove the fusebox and look up to where the fire wall meets the scuttle tray thats exactly where the battery sits.

Give it some rev
19-02-06, 07:25 PM
yeah m8, iv got that 'rust in battery tray syndrome' lol bloody nova's, why did'nt vauxhall just build them right in the 1st place.:roll: :confused:

projectcoshanova
19-02-06, 08:01 PM
:thumb: :thumb: battery trays fine apart from a battery holder problem at the mo.but yeh the problem is behind the fuse box and underneath the battery tray but all nova,s have the same rust problems exactly in the same places:roll: . ie>boot corners,bottom of doors,back wheel arches.... the problem i have> water running from corner down where feet are and then the floor panel and sill rusts n falls out lol lol<flintstones car more like> lol good to see all of u replying to these problems keep up the good work!!:thumb: fine example>>>>>>http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f387/projectcoshanova/novapics003.jpg