PDA

View Full Version : DIY Brake Mod

beavy69
19-02-06, 09:38 AM
Can you drill your own discs if they are large enough?

Has anyone else tried it?

Do brake discs have an offset like wheels?

supanova1400
19-02-06, 09:46 AM
NOT recomended, you could end up cracking your disks, just buy some!

mikey14sr
19-02-06, 02:38 PM
I wouldn't reccomend it either, cross-drilled discs are probably designed from the outset to be drilled and the holes will be put exactly where they need to be for that particular model and make of car in order to be worthwhile, just randomly putting holes in wont work. Discs dont use offset, the fit is determined by the diameter of the hub flange and the distance between the inner face of the centre to the centreline of the caliper. IIRC this is known as the "hat" height, as when the disc is laid down on table or such it lookes like a top-hat.

Aamir
22-02-06, 03:51 PM
A reputable brake disc dealer told me drilled discs are not worth the money, they suffer from cracking around the holes if not properly hardened at the factory.

Grooved & vented discs are a better option.

beavy69
25-02-06, 10:15 PM
Sorry Aamir, I wasn't clear about what I meant. I don't mean for cooling/gas release, I mean holes for fitment.

alistairolsen
25-02-06, 11:12 PM
Depends how confident you are in your own abailities. Im planning on modding a set of 288s to four stud for my corsa conversion, but Iv emade up a template in acrylic, and ill be making very sure to get them spot on. In all honesty, the nearest .25mm will do tho, the holes dont bear load.

Adam
26-02-06, 12:09 AM
Al-
i think he meansdrill, as in drill holes in the disc surface to make drilled discs, not as in drill the disc to change 5stud discs to four stud.

alistairolsen
26-02-06, 12:31 AM
I don't mean for cooling/gas release, I mean holes for fitment

;):thumb:

Get your ass on msn boyo

Adam
26-02-06, 12:58 AM
OOO right, i really should read things more,lol.
Im on MSN,Lol.

beavy69
26-02-06, 01:29 PM
lol Thanks guys I think i'm gonna go for the Fiat coupe (non turbo) discs with Some Vaux V6 calipers as the discs are PCD 4X98 which aparently fit(the holes are prob bigger than Nova ones)

I have heard V6 calipers work with these discs and somone confirmed more specifically that Vectra V6 ones do but I asked a guy selling some Omega V6 cals, the distance between the centres of the mounting holes and he said 7" but on a Nova steering knuckle the distance is about 3.5/4"

any ideas as to other V6 calipers?