PDA

View Full Version : how do get tdc when head has been removed

dan23
18-02-06, 07:47 PM
bought a 2nd hand engine set timeing pointer a what i thought was tdc took head off all pistons were level

how do i set tdc so vavle num 1 is up when i put it back on

Adam
18-02-06, 10:22 PM
What engine is it?

The cam sprocket needs to be at its timing mark (notch on sprocket aligned with notch in rear cambelt cover), as does the crank pulley(notch on the cover aligned with the notch in the pully).

The crank does two revolutions per one of the cam.

If your refitting the head, set the crank to about 60deg before TDC, so all pistons are about level.
Then fit the head, set the cam to TDC mark, then turn the crank to TDC.
Then fit the cambelt.
IIRC thats what i did.

dan23
19-02-06, 12:56 PM
its a 1.4 sr bottom end with 1.3 head

so i set it 60 deg before tdc i must make sure piston num 1 is on its riseing stroke then when i et cam they will both align

mikey14sr
19-02-06, 02:13 PM
Bottom end:- notch on v-belt pulley lines up with the pointer(needle) towards the front of the engine, if you're looking straight at the pulley from under the wheel arch imagine its a clock face and it should be roughly where the hour hand would be at half past two.

Camshaft:- notch on pulley lines up with notch at top of the backplate, make sure the rotor arm of the dizzy is pointing to number 1 plug lead though, if its pointing to number three it'll be bye bye valves.

dan23
19-02-06, 06:25 PM
so before i put head i need 2 rotate crank shaft so num 1 piston is up an so the notch on the crankshaft sprocket wil be in line with pointer

then i can put head on an rotate the cam (wont this cause a valve 2 hit piston )

mikey14sr
19-02-06, 07:50 PM
you can line the camshaft up before it goes on too

dan23
19-02-06, 09:19 PM
cheers mikey think i understand now

Adam
20-02-06, 03:25 PM
then i can put head on an rotate the cam (wont this cause a valve 2 hit piston ) Thats why i suggested setting the crank to about 60deg before TDC of No.1 piston. So none of the pistons were at TDC.
As you can then rotate the cam to get that into the correct TDC position.
Whereas with the crank at TDC, if you rotate the cam you could damage a valve or two.

You could just do like Mikey said, set crank to TDC on cyl 1.
Then set cam to tdc before you put the head on.
But DONT turn the cam without the cambelt on.

dan23
20-02-06, 06:22 PM
so to set tdc on cam i need to put the cam houseing on top of the head rotate cam till it gets to tdc an make sue rotor arm is pointing to num 1 plug lead

so its ok to just rest the cam houseing on top of head while i turn cam?

mikey14sr
20-02-06, 06:26 PM
you can set the cam just holding the housing in your hand! doesnt need to be any where near the head

dan23
20-02-06, 06:42 PM
but when i took the head off the pitons were level so shouldnt i put cam on head so it will bring valve num 1 up or is this done by piston ?

never done before i am a bit confused

dan23
21-02-06, 07:14 PM
does any one know ???

dan23
22-02-06, 07:58 PM
can any help was hopeing to finish it at week end

johnnynova
22-02-06, 08:13 PM
buy a haynes! only ?3 of ebay!

me and friend did my 1st enigne conversion using it when i was 16/17 just using a haynes! took 3 days tho, smoked way too much wacky backy while doing it!

but im sure sum 1 off here will tell u anyway... you wont be able to turn the crank (with cambelt on) if it aint all tdc lined up properly etc... (well we cudnt anyway..)

could easily do it in under a day now, tightening cam belt is the only thing i hate and find auwkwered doing.. (any tips any1?? :-) )

a few bolts needed tightening here and there but it all went in ok! and we put a high lift cam in too... which we worked out meant we had to set top pulley 2 notches clockwise for it all to work!!

dan23
22-02-06, 09:24 PM
haynes doesnt mention owt about valve having to be up does the piston raise the vavle or the cam

Adam
23-02-06, 01:50 PM
but when i took the head off the pitons were level so shouldnt i put cam on head so it will bring valve num 1 up or is this done by piston ?

never done before i am a bit confused Have you already took the head etc off then?

If the pistons were all level when you took the head off then the the crank no1 piston wasn't at tdc.
If you look at the crank pulley(alternator pulley) you should see that its mark is not aligned with the pointer on the cam belt rear cover if all the pistons are level.

Leave the pistons as they are, refit the head, set the cam to TDC.
Then turn the crank clockwise until the notch in the crank pulley is aligned with the mark on the cover.
There should also be an arrow cast into the crank sprocket(which the pulley bolts to), the arrow should point downwards when at tdc.

Or if your not confident about doing it yourself, leave it and get someone else to have a look.

dan23
23-02-06, 06:55 PM
i have a 1.4 engine in car took head off all timeing marks where lined up an pistons at tdc when i took it off

i have a 1.3 engine in garage an i want to fit this head to the 1.4 i lined every thing up at tdc cut threw the belts an took head off but when i took it off the pistons were level so i must of knocked the crankshaft pulley while undoing head bolts so if lset cam at tdc will the vavles be at tdc too?

dan23
23-02-06, 06:57 PM
what make the vavles in the head rise the cam ? or pistons

mikey14sr
23-02-06, 07:09 PM
Crankshaft moves the pistons, camshaft moves the valves.
When crank is lined up with its marks pistons 1+4 should be near the top of the block, 2+3 will be sitting down in the bores.
When the camshaft is lined up valves for pistons 1+4 will be closed, and valves for pistons 2+3 will be open.

dan23
23-02-06, 08:50 PM
crankshaft is lined up correct pistons 1+4 at top .
(the cam houseing an head are seperated) so if i line up cam marks an make sure rotor arm is pointing to cylinder1 an then put cam houseing on head valves will be correct?
(remember the head is off the other engine pistons were level when it was removed

Stuart
23-02-06, 08:54 PM
it will be close, then you align all the marks with it all assembled as per the HAYNES manual

mikey14sr
23-02-06, 08:54 PM
That'll do it!