PDA

View Full Version : nova 2litre vs nova 2litre turbo

DAZZI D
17-02-06, 02:35 PM
hi every one, i know that turbo's are quicker but how much quicker are they? lets say a 200bhp non turbo nova with throttle bodies, wot kind of 0-60 times and top end speed would you it get from one? and that of a 2litre turbo (maybe slight mods). is it possible for a non turbo to beat a turbo?:thumb:

Mark T
17-02-06, 03:00 PM
What do you mean by slight mods? A set of chips and a tintercooler gets you 280ish bhp...

In all honesty you wont get much lag from a LET on standard compression... Well not as much as a YB lol

A standard LET Nova will be very drivable and torquey, where as a valver on TB's will hav simmilar ammounts of power to a standard LET but about 75ft.lb less torque... Not such a bad thing though as it makes it much easier to drive.

In comparrison a friend of mine has a P2 LET Nova and runs a 13.4 and cant get traction all of the way up, where as Olly Hewitt from MIG had a valver nova on TB's and ran 13.4's too.

Jim
17-02-06, 03:29 PM
What power does a P2 LET Nova put out?

Jim

Mark T
17-02-06, 03:41 PM
Phase 2 about 280ish on a good day if he stands on his left leg singing the national anthem backwards in hebrew lol...

Yeah about 280

Jim
17-02-06, 03:59 PM
What phase is Chris Sutton running? The guy that ran 12.3? I'm sure he must have been able to get the traction down somehow. What tyres is your friend using?

Jim

Mark T
17-02-06, 04:05 PM
He's running phase 3.5 and one or two other bits and peices... He has spent a lot of time setting the car up to run though. Suspension Tweeks etc...

My mate is using the Maxsport road legal slicks. I've borrowed them and can vouch for them being very very sticky.. Came home doing another 10-15mph round bends... I'd wear them out far too quickly lol

TBH Turbos are great for drag racing, and people who like to drive hard seem to stick with N/A

Philsutton
17-02-06, 04:11 PM
on the 0-60 there isnt much difference unless you start spending some serious money. From what ive seen running at pod ect.. a standard xe nova runs high to mid 14s while the let's run high 13s in standard form.

Mark T
17-02-06, 04:19 PM
Well depends totally on how its driven. Logyboy on Roybacer does a 14.2 in his standard XE Nova?

Philsutton
17-02-06, 04:21 PM
i meant on average, but on the 1/4 mile there isnt that much you can **** up. Saying that im not sure how he managd to get that.

Mark T
17-02-06, 04:43 PM
Sorry was being a little pedantic. TBH I think that is the absoloute maximum you could ever get out of a valver nova. If you think about it what's the newest valver you've seen in your average nova... 80k+ miles no engines going to be the same. There are just too many variables involved... You can never have a fair comparison between cars, I.e different drivers, condition of vehicle, condition of engine etc. etc. Suppose thats why people bother racing in the first place!

Lee
17-02-06, 06:40 PM
IMO, if your using your car mainly on the road, with occasional pod use, and you just 'have' to have a big block, the LET is the better option. More torque, cheaper power and quieter at the 200bhp mark.

But if you do a lot of track use, or drive on the limit at the majority of the time, id pick a TB'd XE over a LET every time. If you saw poor old Dave Marshall struggling at Llandow last year, youd understand why. We were both running approx 200bhp, and on the M48 on the way to the event, we had a blat and he had a definate edge on me, but on the track, i was way faster, purely due to being able to rev about 750K higher than him in the power, and having a smoother power delivery.