PDA

View Full Version : alternator isnt recharging battery is it dead or have i connected wires wrong???

projectcoshanova
16-02-06, 01:42 PM
:confused: hi guys since i bought my nova ive had problems with dead alternators and had enough of gettin ripped off with reconditioned ones but is it dead:confused: or have i maybe wired it back up wrong:roll: what is the way u wire em up??there is 2 screws to put wires onto at the side of the alternator and a little bolts to tighten up.... i would like to know if ive maybe put the wrong wire onto a wrong screw??...any help would be greatfull thanx guys:thumb: if the alternator is dead im throwing it through the shop window it came from cos thats the second one ive bought from him and there dead lol lol lol lol

Austin_Nova16
16-02-06, 03:41 PM
10mm head nut - 12v constant power - thick red wire.
8mm head nut - battery light on dash - thin blue/white wire

1st thing....does your battery light work on the dah? If this doesn't then check the bulb and connections.

If this is ok, then check the voltake across the battery with a multimeter. should be approx 12V with engine off and 15V with engine running.

projectcoshanova
16-02-06, 05:43 PM
:) battery light lights up on dashboard but never goes out.havent got a multimeter to check:roll: but how many wires are supposed to be on the alternator itself????

addgsi
16-02-06, 07:05 PM
have you got a earth strap on the alternator bracket goin to the block???

projectcoshanova
16-02-06, 08:15 PM
:thumb: yes put that on the bracket when i changed it not 100% sure tho gonna check tommorow....