PDA

View Full Version : grasstracking newbie

draper
14-02-06, 01:42 PM
right guys, ive got a mk1 SR shell with a damaged rear 3/4 panel, insurance company have wrote it off and ive changed cars so its just sitting on my drive, ive decided im going to try my hand at grasstracking rather then spend my time and money in the pub. does anybody know any websites or contacts i can get info for the spec of the car, safety devices etc, is anybody on here into grasstracking and can tell me how much it costs to start out? any info would be helpful

Tazzy
14-02-06, 03:28 PM
where bouts you from? insurance companies will right it off, even if it can be repaired, they wont bohter with it, it would be easier for them (and cheaper) to buy the car off you and scrap it, rather than repair it!

i used to do banger racing, as loang as you take your windows out, as much electircs as poss, stick a roll cage in, 1 seat with harness belt, and do a bit of welding, youre sorted!

Jack
14-02-06, 05:11 PM
insurance companies will right it off, even if it can be repaired, they wont bohter with it, it would be easier for them (and cheaper) to buy the car off you and scrap it, rather than repair it!
They already have...

Have a butchers on google for Grass track racing, there's quite a few results on there. Seem to be quite a few small local societies.

Ste L
14-02-06, 05:16 PM
Tazzy : i presume he will be using the car for grass tracking, there for it dont have to look nice, dint's, bit of rust etc ect, should be fine...

Dar
14-02-06, 06:20 PM
You should have a local club near you. They will give you loads of advice etc as well as this you will also need to decide what class you will run in.

Check out this website for more info http://www.loosenet.co.uk/nasa/
You can request an information pack.

If you don't enjoy lots of maintenance on the car then I would not reccomend autograss. Its not cheap motorsport anymore and the cars get a real battering. It is damn good fun though.

Another thing to consider about the cars is that they are not road legal and you cannot use them on trackdays(as far as im aware). Just seen this thread on migweb as well - http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=253012 - It gives a very good indication of what the cars are like and what you basically do, which is drive in circles.

Hope this helps :thumb:

SGA33
14-02-06, 08:34 PM
Basically there are 5 classes that you could run your nova in.
Class2 which is upto 1300cc with limited mods
Class4 which is for screaming 1ltrs
Class5 upto i think 1400cc unlimited mods
Class6 which is for the big boys with over 1400cc engines
Clubclass which is basically standard gte/gsi with no mods (good cheap fun):)
My mate and myself built a 16v nova for racing but eventually gave up as it was costing too much so i will be racing hopefully this year in club class.
Good luck...

leebo
14-02-06, 08:45 PM
Class4 which is for screaming 1ltrs

that sounds like a goo laugh lol

Tazzy
15-02-06, 04:17 PM
i didnt say anything about it looking nice, i was more on about safety, they aint gona let you in for the sake of it, your car will need to meet safety requirements!

draper
17-02-06, 12:53 PM
cheers lads, i know the cars aint pretty or road legal, just fancy avin a blast at it !!