PDA

View Full Version : help with removal of head gasket

projectcoshanova
14-02-06, 11:26 AM
:) hi ive got a 1.2 nova that ive been repairing and i wanted to know wether i can replace the head gasket seal on my own as ive heard that when u remove the overhead cam head lid:roll: it has to be skimmed:wtf: any mechanical help would help me to get my prized nova back on the road as ive now been workin on it for over a year n half now:mad: :thumb: PLZ REPLY HERE p.s i only have a certain amount of tools hence waiting to find out wether i can remove it or not...:cry: just wouldnt wanna break it like i did with a seat i had tried to repair b4:roll:

Iain
14-02-06, 12:44 PM
I've done mine before with the help of someone who knows what they're doing. It's not too harder job as long as you have a Haynes Manual. Didn't get mine skimmed when I did it and it's been running fine for a few months.

projectcoshanova
14-02-06, 01:17 PM
I've done mine before with the help of someone who knows what they're doing. It's not too harder job as long as you have a Haynes Manual. Didn't get mine skimmed when I did it and it's been running fine for a few months. dont know anyone really that does them jobs but thanx anyways might put it into a garage yet.:thumb:

Adam
14-02-06, 01:21 PM
Its pretty straight forward, just follow the Haynes manual.
Its best to get the head skimmed if the gasket has been gone for a while, or the car has been overheating a lot.

projectcoshanova
14-02-06, 01:32 PM
nope no over heating as ive hardly driven the car for a long period of time its stuck in my garage for just repairs at the moment.i do own a manual and have read it but looks complicated i used to be one of these kids who used to take apart a toy and not be able to put it back together again lmao.head gasket has been gone roughly about 2 yrs now plus my overheating fan and radiator has problems so dont wanna run it that much yet.

Jon_nova1
14-02-06, 01:47 PM
its easy, must be all of 15 bolts, but id highly advise getting a torque wrench to do it

Adam
14-02-06, 01:48 PM
You MUST use a torque wrench for the headbolts, as you could warp the head or just blow another headgasket if you dont.

Jon_nova1
14-02-06, 01:50 PM
which yes, i did do, and its not worth the effort replacing the gasket again when you can get a torque wrench for 15 quid at argos

projectcoshanova
14-02-06, 01:57 PM
thank u very much guys looks like ive got another job on me hands ill let u kknow the result as of when i get to do it!!if anyones intrested in having a look at my nova pics are available just email me at lollyslover26@ntlworld.com thanx

Stuart
14-02-06, 04:01 PM
Where in essex are you?

projectcoshanova
14-02-06, 05:44 PM
Where in essex are you?
:thumb: near dagenham

Stuart
15-02-06, 08:00 AM
might be able to offer a haynes interpretation service then ;)

projectcoshanova
15-02-06, 08:07 AM
go ahead whats that involve if i own the haynes manual allready lol???just dont like bits everywhere its murder lol

Stuart
15-02-06, 08:50 AM
If your not happy doing the job on yer own i can come over and eat while giving helpfull banter lmao

projectcoshanova
15-02-06, 09:30 AM
If your not happy doing the job on yer own i can come over and eat while giving helpfull banter lmao
:thumb: gotta be warmish weather yet dont want another cold just got over one lol but would be cool if u gave me helpfull banter as ive no idea where to go next with this f**** car.ull probably say get rid but ill show ya what ive done to it.its all down to your knowledge of nova,s that would give me a great help.thanx dal

Tim
16-02-06, 07:30 AM
its a doddle mate and would only take an hour or two tops, if your not to confident why dont u take some pics of what your starting with, that way youlll know what its gotta look llike when your done;) get a container for all your nuts and bolts and your torque wrench and go and have a go and wrap up nice and warmlol . Somtimes i forget how lucky i am having the double garage at home all to my self lol lol

Stuart
16-02-06, 08:03 AM
just give me a shout when you want to do it.

projectcoshanova
16-02-06, 10:09 AM
:thumb: ok cool plus its not the only thing that may need fixing so wont be just yet but keep intouch ....:cool:

projectcoshanova
16-02-06, 10:10 AM
id rather let someone else do it than me tightening the bolts then BANG goes my pistons or something....thanx for the advice tho timmmy lol