PDA

View Full Version : Brake Lines, standard or braided?

krobinson
13-02-06, 06:28 PM
I'm going to renew the brake lines before the summer. I want to have less power going to the rear as i run rear discs, so should i block off one and only run one line to the rear, and split it at the axel for each side?

Also, can you run braided brake lines under the car, or are these only for internal use?

What tools are needed to redo the brake lines in copper line?

Keith

novatek
13-02-06, 06:32 PM
the copper lines are quite easy, as long as you have the right size, 8mm internal i think it is.

same for fuel lines, retro cars magazine encourage it :)

krobinson
13-02-06, 06:38 PM
What about running the braided lines like rally cars use, only under the car?

I want to run a single line with a wilwood bias in the middle.

Or should i stick to standard double line copper?

Keith

Lee
13-02-06, 06:38 PM
Braided hoses are a must to improve performance, they reduce the spongyness of the pedal as well as being more resistant to rupture.

Id run the copper brake lines inside the car, you only need the braided hoses to bridge between moving parts.

As for the rears, your better off fitting bias valves on the rear lines.

krobinson
13-02-06, 06:54 PM
I have braided lines already. I mean the actual pipes. I've noticed rally cars run braided brake line inside the car and i'm asking is it possible to run this underneath the car, meaning is it legal/pass MOT.

And for fitting a bias on the rear lines, what do you suggest? wilwood adjuster is ?80, i dont fancy buying 2!

Whats the solution?

A friend is trying out the bias from a mk2 astra GTE. Tho he's the only one i know doing this!

Keith

Lee
13-02-06, 07:14 PM
Ah, sorry dude, i got mixed up there lol.

You should be able to pick up some from a scrappys. Just get them from an SRi or GSi cav or an Astra like you mentioned and bolt them in. (i think they live up the front by the MC. They are pressure limiting valves so as long as you're using the same brake setup, 256mm fronts and the matching rears, or an equivilent match, then it should work OK. IIRC they can be adjusted by fitting softer/harder springs inside.

Why do you need to run them under the car to pass MOT, im sure dans run inside and his is tested up!

krobinson
13-02-06, 07:19 PM
I assume the MOT testers like to see the brake lines. And i dont think its a good idea to run brake lines under my carpets and full interior.

So they need to go underneath.

I'll use copper line and try and sort something for the bias.

Keith

Stuart
13-02-06, 07:31 PM
imho id only run full braided inside the car... (like i am)

jsut renew the pipes, and the brake line is about 4mm NOT 8mm lmao.
you'll need a flaring tool and M10 fittings (and some others for the master cylinder)

krobinson
13-02-06, 07:40 PM
Another helpful post from stewwww ;)

Keith

Stuart
13-02-06, 07:49 PM
cheeky mick :p

you need an external flare (to make a bellend rather than a fanny)

dan16v
13-02-06, 10:02 PM
feck me 8mm brakes lines! pressure drop me up:) joking mate!

had many probs with the rears locking then Keith? as im wondering what myne will be like with rear disks on now?

fearless
14-02-06, 01:07 PM
One of the main reasons rally cars run all the pipework inside the cars - is to eliminate the risk of them getting ripped off during rough forest stages !!

Braided hoses can be run under the car (or under the carpet if you wish) and are not as expensive as people think for the actual hose - its the ends that put the price up !!! - but if your only running one to the rear then thats not a major cost

Dave

Stuart
14-02-06, 01:15 PM
My braided hose setup cost about ?40 inc fittings, ok they arent/wont be bling and shineeeeyyy for long, but meh aslong as they work i dont care

krobinson
14-02-06, 07:23 PM
One of the main reasons rally cars run all the pipework inside the cars - is to eliminate the risk of them getting ripped off during rough forest stages !!

Braided hoses can be run under the car (or under the carpet if you wish) and are not as expensive as people think for the actual hose - its the ends that put the price up !!! - but if your only running one to the rear then thats not a major cost

Dave

Dave, think that running one braided line to the rear, splitting it at the axel to each side would remove the need for a bias? My rear discs are very prone to locking up.

Is it possible to do this and just block off the other supply?

Keith

krobinson
15-02-06, 07:13 PM
Bump..

mowgli
15-02-06, 07:44 PM
I find the best tool for fitting brake lines is a mechanic!
unless you have a carlift, it is a right pain to do. Also get plastic coated brake line. GM probably still do the right ones.
also get hold of a proper pipe bender. the small pipes are dead easy to kink & ruin.

craig green
19-02-06, 06:05 PM
Dave, think that running one braided line to the rear, splitting it at the axel to each side would remove the need for a bias? My rear discs are very prone to locking up.

Is it possible to do this and just block off the other supply?

Keith

Keith; I'm pretty sure this is OK. I started a thread on the subject on here & MIG. Thats the best way to go IMO. Single braided line to the rear & an adjustable bias valve to fine tune the balance.

Are you currently running the V6 fronts & 16v rears from a std master cylinder then?

CG

mikey14sr
19-02-06, 06:28 PM
I remember people who had fitted alfa 33 rear disc beams to alfasuds used to only connect one brake line from the master cylinder, should be fine as long as the other outlet is blocked off safely.

benthehash
12-09-07, 06:40 PM
reading all this i'm confused was about to run new copper lines under the car as mine are ****ed. reading this i could run a single hose font to back under the car to a t peice on the axel running to rear brakes? worth doing still drums on the back!

tom_beverley
12-09-07, 06:42 PM
Yes good plan, but really, is there any need to dig up an 18th month old thread to tell us all?

benthehash
12-09-07, 06:55 PM
just refreshing your brains and kinda shows i've had a look and it's not a lazy question. what size internal diametere hose plus does the front want to be smaller?

thanks for reply tom

tom_beverley
12-09-07, 07:00 PM
lol I'm not sure everyone will see it like that. Looks like you have more searching to do, but please try to refrain from replying to old threads.