PDA

View Full Version : clearence problem :(

burgo
13-02-06, 04:15 PM
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/sclurgess/DSCN1614.jpg

the wheel is a cavvy steelie so is therefore et49 and the tyre is 185/60/14, yet its wedged up against the shock. what ideas have you peeps got?? im thinking bent beam

Adam
13-02-06, 05:23 PM
Hmmm, thats weird.
Have you tried another wheel?

-Bruce-
13-02-06, 05:31 PM
That is weird burgo. Try another wheel. And possibly try the other side of the car, with the same wheel.

I take it you have not seen any visible damage to the beam?

Bruce

Adam
13-02-06, 05:48 PM
What car is this on Burgo?
Cav or a nova?

tom_beverley
13-02-06, 06:27 PM
Its either your beam or stub axle that is bent. I had a similar problem on my previous car when I nearly lost it and noticed that the tyre had blown due to a few inch long hole on the inside where it had been rubbing.:eek:

Take the drum off and pack the two top bolts with a couple of washers to straighten the alignment of the wheel. You might need to try a few different thicknesses of washer before you get it spot on.

burgo
13-02-06, 06:34 PM
Its either your beam or stub axle that is bent. I had a similar problem on my previous car when I nearly lost it and noticed that the tyre had blown due to a few inch long hole on the inside where it had been rubbing.:eek:

Take the drum off and pack the two top bolts with a couple of washers to straighten the alignment of the wheel. You might need to try a few different thicknesses of washer before you get it spot on.its deffinetly the beam bent but the washer trick sounds bludi good to me, ill do it tomorra.

and this is on my new td nova :cool:

joff-turbo-nova
13-02-06, 07:05 PM
I hit a big rock on the apex of a hairpin bend in the Yorkshire Dales a few years back.

Slashed the tyre but didn't realise the axel was also bent until I put the new alloy back on after running around for a couple of weeks on the spare steely.

Got lots of burning rubber smells after a couple of minute driving - not good.

When I actually stripped the beam back off the car you could see two things - the beam had kinked but in two planes . It had moved in so the tyre caught the shock absorber BUT it had also moved so the tyre in effect toe'd out - ie the tyre was trying to steer from the rear - also not good.

So make sure that the beam is only bent in one direction/plane otherwise cornerning and general handling will be compromised.

Cheers

Joff