PDA

View Full Version : leaking oil from 4-branch

johnnynova
13-02-06, 02:40 PM
just noticed smoke coming from under my bonnet, had a look and the exhaust from the 2nd cylinder is smoking and i swear i can see oil bubbling where it joins onto the head?

has this happened to any1 before? has your 4-branch started leaking? or could it be the exhaust manifold gone??

and now lots of smoke from exhaust (blue) so i take it head gasket gone?? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Adam
13-02-06, 03:12 PM
It must be burning oil, and the manifold gasket is blowing by cyl 2. So you can see the smoke.
Could be a piston ring/valve seal tho.

Check the oil cap for water contamination, and check the coolant for oil.
It still could be the headgasket tho, even if the oil isn't mixed with the water.

Stuart
13-02-06, 04:04 PM
does it smoke under load (eg when booting it) but not when siddint at idle? (RINGS)
does it smoke on overrun (eg boot it and lift off) again but not when idling? (Stem SEALS)

does it smoke all the time? HG probably)

novatek
13-02-06, 04:54 PM
id change the gasket first see what happens

-Bruce-
13-02-06, 05:27 PM
id change the gasket first see what happens

I would not!! I would have a good look and a think before doing anything like that!!

Check oil level!! How much smoke is coming out?? Check to see if the rocket gasket is leaking and oil is running down!! And do all of the checks above.

Bruce

novatek
13-02-06, 05:33 PM
even if it was any of the above, smoke shouldnt leak from the head/manifold

-Bruce-
13-02-06, 05:37 PM
Yeh true mate, but i would always make sure before doing something like head gasket. Could be a simple little thing!!

Bruce

novatek
13-02-06, 05:41 PM
haha sorry Bruce, I meant the manifold gasket
good point tho

-Bruce-
13-02-06, 05:42 PM
oh rite mate. yeh thats a good idea, sorry abit of confusion there!!

Bruce

Adam
13-02-06, 05:46 PM
If it only seems to smoke when the engine is hot, it could be the rocker gasket leaking like Bruce said.
I never thought of that.

johnnynova
13-02-06, 05:51 PM
it always has leaked a little oil from rocker gasket but thats not whats hitting the manifold, it lloks like its coming from where manifold meets head, it smokes a little on idle, more on load.

i will take the plugs out and have a look, if no. 2 is v. dirty then i think thats the head gasket gone there and probably exhasut manifold as well, if oils in no. 2 cylinder then couldnt that leak out of the exhaust if the exh. manifold is gone?

novatek
13-02-06, 06:06 PM
piston ring on cylender 2??

still think the exhaust manifold needs changing, iv seen it before

johnnynova
13-02-06, 06:18 PM
so it could just be the exhaust manifold gone then?

but that wudnt make smoke come out of the exhaust would it??

Adam
13-02-06, 06:19 PM
Nope, manifold gasket wont sort the smoke.

novatek
13-02-06, 06:26 PM
surely smoke should come out the tailpipe and not where the monifold meets the head

Adam
13-02-06, 06:33 PM
It will leak from the manifold, if the gasket is not fully sealing.

Jon_nova1
14-02-06, 12:58 AM
does smoke come out of the exhaust? if it does it would be an internal engine job, as in head gasket, stem seals, piston rings although it sounds like a really bad leak so something has gone very wrong,

if the smoke just come out of the engine bay it would be outside the engine, probably oil leaking from the rocker cover gasket, or similar and just dripping onto the hot manifold and burning ;)

johnnynova
14-02-06, 04:23 PM
yeh its coming out of the exhaust, its the head gasket, its been on it way for a while was just a matter of time, gotta get fixed now...

mad-driver
14-02-06, 07:03 PM
Yes, dont do anything until you know what it is, as you can end up wasting your time. I thought i had a leaky sump gasket, as oil was dripping onto my 4 branch, but turns out it was coming from the main crank seal and dripping round underneath the sump, and onto manifold. So its wise to check it out first instead of just throwing money away

johnnynova
14-02-06, 07:08 PM
true, but im sure its gotta be the head gasket as it smokes on idle and a little more when you rev it.

smokey exhaust = head gasket??

ive had piston rings go before and it smoked differently.

mad-driver
14-02-06, 08:13 PM
but if the head gasket had gone it would not necessarily blow blue smoke, as it will burn water too wont it

Jon_nova1
14-02-06, 10:26 PM
it should be sucking water into the cylinders really, and the oil should be getting sucked into the cylinder if oil was involved, are you sure oil isn't leaking from between the cylinder head and cam housing?

SuperNova!
14-02-06, 10:32 PM
As said the headgasket could be broke on an oil gallery and could allow oil to be leaking into the suspect cylinder thus giving blue smoke.

The headgasket being broken doesnt necessaraly mean that the water will be contaminated or that water will be used. I know this because I have seen my own headgasket broke between no3 cylinder and an oil gallery.:)

best thing to do is get the head off and have a look

Jon_nova1
14-02-06, 10:41 PM
arr true, but usually the oil would get sucked into the cylinder?