PDA

View Full Version : Watery oil, i suspect HG

Adam
10-02-06, 02:00 PM
Just been checking my oil and noticed that the oil is very watery, and almost see through, like as if someone has tipped some water into the oil :wtf::wtf: Lol
The oil is 20/50, so is normally really gloopy thick stuff, but it pi**ses straight off the dipstick as soon as you remove it.

Theres also what look like water bubbles on the dipstick, all the way up it, and a bit of white gunk at the top of the dipstick.

Water looks clean, and it aint overheating, yet.

Could it be the start of the HG starting to go?
Or maybe just a bit of condensation.

Adam
10-02-06, 05:08 PM
Took it for a good run this afternoon, and it seems to be better now, the oil seems more oil-ly Lol.

So hopefully it was just condensation :)

novatek
10-02-06, 05:12 PM
yeh must be condensation mate.

happens to mine abit and my dads astra.

I reckon it will be ok soon with the weather gettin warmer

Adam
10-02-06, 05:15 PM
Weird tho, as i dont really do short journeys.
Perhaps its just with the weather being cold at night too etc.

novatek
10-02-06, 05:26 PM
have you checked if your water is oily or dirty?

Adam
10-02-06, 06:00 PM
Water is completely clean, as is the oil cap.
It was just the dipstick that looked a bit contaminated with water.

novatek
10-02-06, 06:09 PM
i wouldnt worry then, good luck anyway.

Long Live Your Nova lol

SuperNova!
10-02-06, 06:36 PM
Just a thought but if you dipped the oil while the engine was hot hot then maybe thats why it was appearing so thin and if it cleared then it most probably just condensation :thumb: .

Just a thought it seemed to be the case with me of the oil being very thin when the engine was hot.

change my piston rings today long time of running in to look forward to :roll: .

novatek
10-02-06, 06:46 PM
why did you change the rings mate, was it smoking?

mad-driver
10-02-06, 06:48 PM
Ad, it could just have needed a run, do you drive it long distances alot or just potter about it in?

Adam
10-02-06, 07:09 PM
Nar, i just pi** about in it mainly lol
did about 25mile this afternoon, and it seems to have sorted it.

Good point supernova about the engine being hot, but it seemed too thin for even hot oil. Might do a oil change and see what the old oil looks like when its removed.

SuperNova!
10-02-06, 07:48 PM
Yeah "Novatek" smoking like a fiesta 1.1 popular plus lol .

Best of luck with the car mate, even in worst case scenario the headgaskets are easy to change anyway and it would let you have a look in the head while its off and give you the chance to do some decoking :) .

cheers

dave

Jon_nova1
10-02-06, 08:00 PM
mine did that (old engine), and had those signs i think it was water in the breather