PDA

View Full Version : Camshaft remover

Jon_nova1
10-02-06, 12:15 PM
I've just had my valve spring compressor through the post to do my valve stem seals, it says in most cases the camshaft won't need taking out, although it looks like i'll have to because the camshaft will get in the way, i've not got a camshaft remover and don't want to take the head of again, just wondering if theres anyway to botch something to get my cam out?? cheers :D

avo_2005
10-02-06, 01:14 PM
to remove the camshaft with the head still on, i pushed down the valves 1 by 1 and removed the cam followers and collets then u will be able to remove the camshaft. the ignition coil might have to be removed

Adam
10-02-06, 01:49 PM
Hmm, you wont beable change the valve stem seals with the head on will you?
The spring compressor presses on the valve head, which you cant get to with the head on.

I think your getting confused between a valve compressor that allows you to remove the cam with the head on, and a valve compressor that allows you to remove the collets and take the valves out. They are two different tools.

Jon_nova1
10-02-06, 07:42 PM
yes you can change the valve stem seals with the head on, theres even a hose to go in the spark plug hole to stop the valves from dropping, on "most" cars they can be changed without taking the cam out, the nova must be one of the exceptions, i tried putting deep sockets on all the rockers then clamping wood over them, it nearly worked, but didn't quite compress them enough, the rockers kept catching on the big round bits, so the heads coming of again tomorrow :(

Adam
10-02-06, 07:44 PM
You can remove the cam without removing the head.
Using a rocker removal tool.

Jon_nova1
10-02-06, 07:52 PM
lol I know, but thats one of the tools in my increasingly growing range i havent got and i don't know anyone with one :(

I bought another head gasket earlier, so it'll get done tomorrow :D

Jon_nova1
10-02-06, 07:55 PM
and i've not got an airline, so i'd be pretty p*ssed i didn't put the piston up and the valve dropped and i had to walk to get a new gasket lol