PDA

View Full Version : rolled arches

Christ
06-02-06, 08:10 PM
My back arches are rusty, not rotten, just rusty on the lip part.

I got some replacement arches from selimperial but its going to be more of a stess to do myself than I first thought due to the fact i would have to cut out a hole for the petrol cap. Would it be possible to just cut the rusted lip off the back arches and file the edge?

When people talka bout rolled arches is that whay they do or do they fold the lip in on itself?

The rest of the back arch has a little bit of surface rust that will get covered with side skirts anyway, its just the lip that looks bake.

Iain
06-02-06, 09:05 PM
When people get their arches rolled, the lip gets bent back in up the arch. I think it mentions in the Haynes/Max Power book that if you grind the lip off the shell loses some strength...(?)

If you don't need/want the arches rolled, you could just sand down and repaint the lip? Or get a welder to weld the new panels in for you if it's too hard to make a good job out of.

Christ
06-02-06, 09:45 PM
Its too rusty to paint i think, the lips not smooth anymore, its like a wafer - or a wave, lol.

Im not really fussed about strength but im assuming there is the outer wing and there must be an inner wing, which will also have a lip. If i cut both of the lips off I will have a gap inbetween the skins which I dont like the sound of.

Later along the line the car will get a full respray. So any Ideas how much a body shop would charge to just weld the arches, no re spraying involved?

ade
06-02-06, 11:22 PM
depending on how rusty the lip is will depend if you can roll them - if you roll them then you create c channel for wayer - you also open up an already weakened seam (inner and outer shells spot welded and the panels are separated by a rubber strip and sealer - but this often fails causing inner rust and paint damage).

If you grind, dont go beyond the spot welds and make sure you apply krust both inside and out (pour it down the inner wing!) Allow to dry and the use grey stripe or similar to seal fully (can get from halfords). Dont use body filler as its pourous and water will get in and losen it eventually causing more rust.

Once sealed, strip paint back and respray - make sure all rust is removed.

TBH Id ask a body shop to give you a quote for rear 1.4 panel replacement and respray - theyd do a good job and it'll prob set you back ?300 tops. If you do it yourself and arent too sure what youre doing you can doo alot more damage than good and the chances are the rust will more than likely return!

:cry:

Christ
07-02-06, 05:28 PM
ok, thanks. And thanks again for the PM ade. Im gona get somebody to spray it first as a homer, so I will get it down to a body shop and see what they recomend, might get the gutters removed at the same time.