PDA

View Full Version : Flushed boot

tappingt
03-02-06, 06:04 PM
Whats the best way going around flusing a tailgate? i have been thinking of buying one of those panels of ebay? anyone got any suggestions?

Adam
03-02-06, 06:19 PM
The best way is to weld plate over the recess, filler to smooth the plate into the boot.

You can use one of the fibreglass panels, that will need attaching to the boot, and then smoothing.

tappingt
03-02-06, 06:21 PM
The best way is to weld plate over the recess, filler to smooth the plate into the boot.

You can use one of the fibreglass panels, that will need attaching to the boot, and then smoothing.

Ok thanks where do you get the boot popping kits from?

Adam
03-02-06, 06:24 PM
SuperNovas

novamadcars
04-02-06, 02:41 PM
wouldent it be cheaper and better just 2 weld a plate over the recess

Iain
04-02-06, 07:56 PM
I've noticed a lot for sale recently. Might be worth looking for a properly done one second hand as it'll probably be cheaper?

Edit: One for sale on the forums... (http://www.novaload.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59078&goto=nextoldest)

tappingt
05-02-06, 10:20 PM
ye mayb i'll have a look around would be alot cheaper its just i have recently fitted the wrap around spoiler.

novamadcars
06-02-06, 07:27 AM
could you not just remove it from your old boot and fit it 2 a smooth boot

ade
06-02-06, 11:27 PM
if you get one of the fibreglass ones you should really cut the lower 1/4 skin away and bond the new fibreglass panel in its place. Dont stick it on top because it'll stick out too far and look naff!

welding a plate is the best and gives a guaranted result - need a welder though and knowhow - garage will charge you about ?100 for pro job.

I thought about using thin plexiglass across the whole bottom 1/4 and putting an angle on the top lip - this can be bonded seamlessly with tiger seal or similar and the boot cavity filled with light expanding foam. the bottom edge can be covered with more plexiglas bonded to the original and tigersealed/attached in place. Plastic weld would gauarantee a solid seal and 2mm-3mm plaxiglass wouldnt look out of place - just an idea...

Ade

tappingt
09-02-06, 01:29 PM
ok thanks very much for your help i'll put a pic up once ive done it! and explain what i did.