PDA

View Full Version : Cam followers

LUV2XLR8
03-02-06, 12:12 AM
spoke to a few people about this now, i have a piper fast road cam for my 1.4 spi nova
some people say i need followers from piper, and others say new standard followers will do.

Also Im going to replace the tappets, is there anything else i will need? has anyone done this before?
thanks again
from confused jim :confused:

Adam
03-02-06, 12:35 AM
Std followers are fine.

Phil_G
03-02-06, 12:47 AM
standard followers would be ok as long as they are new.

IF not then the used followers will have worn into the old cam they were with and as a result, the wear on the followers would lead to increased wear on the cam.

the tappets are easy enough to do - your best best is one of those removal tools that lets you do the job with it all in situ. cost about a tenner or so but makes the job so much easier!

Adam
03-02-06, 12:51 AM
your best best is one of those removal tools that lets you do the job with it all in situ. cost about a tenner or so but makes the job so much easier!
Yup, i have one of them, very handy tool.
As no need to touch the headbolts and need a new Hg/bolts etc.:thumb:

I got it off Ebay.

leebo
03-02-06, 01:12 AM
whats that hany wee tool called?

Stuart
03-02-06, 08:08 AM
Just a GM cam removal tool. or a sykes pykavant thingy majig.

LUV2XLR8
03-02-06, 12:03 PM
Yup, i have one of them, very handy tool.
As no need to touch the headbolts and need a new Hg/bolts etc.:thumb:

I got it off Ebay.

so I'l have to get new head bolts?
Also i have to get a timing disc to from piper, or so ive been told?

Stuart
03-02-06, 12:58 PM
If you use the cam removal tool and dont take the head off then you dont need to get new headbolts.
As for a timing disc, you only reallt need that if you get a vernier pulley and even then you can leave it set to std and let a RR play about with the timing to see what changes you get.

thirdeyeblindman
03-02-06, 04:00 PM
depending on your engine spec you may not have the valve to piston clearance to do so.. i remember talking to my engine builder about it and he said a proper one will be very tight, i think keiths even has valve pockets machined into the pistons.. although keith may correct em there

LUV2XLR8
03-02-06, 07:18 PM
engine at the mo is standard, I have the cam shaft ready and thats it,
so I'll probably need new head bolts as I'll be taking the cam houseing off and I'll need new followers and tappets.
is it worth me getting a pully?

Adam
03-02-06, 07:25 PM
Use the cam removal tool, you can replace cam, followers, tappets, without touching the headbolts.

If you undo the headbolts you will need a new hg and new headbolts, plus have to drain the coolant etc too.

womble sri
03-02-06, 07:31 PM
yes it is worth getting the pulley as it allows adjustment for maximum power. you should of got the cam kit.

supanova1400
03-02-06, 08:56 PM
if your going to do a job it's worth going the hole hog, money allowing that is.
it saves time and hassel in the end. if your going to take the head off send it away and get it gasflowed and have bigger valves put in, by blyndenstine (sp) top bloke!!!!!. There b+ head is the best to go for for your car. oh and get rid of the SPi and put some twin webbers on it as soon as you can all those mods really benifit one another.
just some ideas for the future.:thumb: :thumb:
HTH
Dave

Stuart
04-02-06, 12:31 PM
most cam kits dont come with the pulley though lol just get a std one modified.

LUV2XLR8
04-02-06, 01:48 PM
think i'll take the head off, could do with a new gasket, I'll do a compresion test first.
how do i modify a standard pully?
I havnt got the cam kit, just the camshaft, got it cheap from ebay.
So my shoping list should be.....
followers,
lifters,
head bolts,
possably pully,
cam lube,
gaskets ect
anything else? Ive got about ?200 to use at the mo.

Stuart
04-02-06, 01:55 PM
get a kidney slot cut into the locating peg hole on the std pulley. should cost about ?20 tops from an engineering shop.

www.autovaux.co.uk is V good for parts. I dont think you need a new head gasket lol unless its definately gone. Just get the removal tool at its ?10-20 Vs ?60ish that a gasket set +bolts + oil and coolant etc. and saves time.

Cam lube isnt vital, jsut coat the cam in very thick oil (80/90 gearbox oil will do aslong as you do an oil change after running the cam in)

Oh and autovaux arent too hot on email replies, so your best calling them

Adam
04-02-06, 04:14 PM
Rocker removal tool-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-DRAPER-VALVE-PLAY-COMPENSATOR-GM-VAUXHALL-OPEL-OHC_W0QQitemZ8022801732QQcategoryZ30917QQssPageNam eZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You could remove your old lifters and just take them apart, clean them in brake cleaner, then put them back together, as good as new.

LUV2XLR8
04-02-06, 07:02 PM
cool, so with this draper valve tool, will i be able to change the followers also? seems a bit fidly as its a small area.
guess its made easyer when the cam shaft is out?
where do i buy one of these cam removal tools? sorry for a million questions, its like a pub quiz :S
cheers

thirdeyeblindman
05-02-06, 02:52 PM
or dont use the pin at all and just pinch up the bolt.. i know several engien builder s who do that

krobinson
05-02-06, 06:25 PM
depending on your engine spec you may not have the valve to piston clearance to do so.. i remember talking to my engine builder about it and he said a proper one will be very tight, i think keiths even has valve pockets machined into the pistons.. although keith may correct em there

Yeah, got my pistons pocketed to prevent running a double head gasket, as the valve to piston clearance was 60 thou, and race engine is usually 80 thou.

Keith