PDA

View Full Version : floppy and hard

novamadcars
02-02-06, 09:41 PM
hi im going 2 try and explane this as best as i can.
my problem is that my actull gear sicks is a bit hard most of the time 2 put in gear and wobbles around 2much as if somthinks broke
anyone know what this could be cheers

SRlew
02-02-06, 09:54 PM
we might have the same problem here.

mines hard to get into 1st most of the time and its realy like, loose if you know what i mean, when i first drove it it was a guess as to what gear it was going in to really.

might be the linkage.

can you buy brand new ones?

novamadcars
02-02-06, 10:07 PM
yes srlew you have the same problem im not sure if you can buy brand new linkages but i do no i have one in my shead lol. do you know if its hard 2 change

Christ
02-02-06, 10:53 PM
my gears are slack as aswell, I think i heard of a brass link or bush or something for the linkage that is suppost to firm it up a bit.

Im not sure, its not at the top of my list yet:p

Stuart
03-02-06, 08:19 AM
First off try re-aligning the linkage as per the haynes manual.
Then if its still slack, replace the rubber bush in the middle of the selector linkage with a brass one (you will have to get one made)
And then if its still gash get hold of one without worn ball joints.

SRlew
03-02-06, 07:16 PM
right im just going to get the f13cr box that i want then change the linkage as well.

cheers, lew

-Bruce-
03-02-06, 07:23 PM
Srlew, Your syncromesh on the first gear could be very worn thats why it is hard to put it in 1st gear!!

And as stu says the linkage will need looked and adjusted or replaced!! Its a easy job!!

Bruce

novamadcars
03-02-06, 09:58 PM
cheers lads for the replys

Iain
03-02-06, 10:18 PM
My gearstick is really floppy too lol You can wobble it left and right a fair bit while in gear. Doesn't bother me though tbh so if it's not breaking anything might as well leave it.

novamadcars
03-02-06, 10:24 PM
lol