PDA

View Full Version : Idle / Ignition Problems

ally_worsley83
01-02-06, 08:35 PM
I'm having problems with the idle in my SR, it's worse when it cold. The revs sometimes will pick up and drop by about 1000 from 500 - 1500, it drives generally alright but doesn't like the choke in, where it will stutter and eventually die. I have had an air leak before on the servo vacuum hose, this was fixed but since then a new servo had been put on. It's very tempremental, there is a slight lack of power and it will cut out even when warm if you push the choke in too far.

I have a manual choke 32/34 weber which was properly setup ages ago and has been running fine most of the winter.

The other weekend the lead from the coil to the dizzy slid off the cap slighty, I was on the motorway and pushed it for a couple if miles before finding the problem and fixing it. It did it twice more after, having had a look at the inside of the dizzy cap and the rotor arm it all looked burnt out (these were only about a year old), so I have replaced the cap, the rotor arm, the leads and the plugs.

I'm thinking now that maybe I fried the ignition module as well, but this is quite expensive so I want to be sure it is that before I change it.

Any ideas what it could be?? All I can think of is the module and a possible air leak. The inlet manifold gasket was new about 8 months ago and the head gasket is fine, there is a new-ish vacuum hose and the joint to the servo feels firm and the grommet there is good...

Jon_nova1
01-02-06, 10:48 PM
sr?? i assume the module is on the coil?? disconnect it and see what happens ;)

it sounds like an air leak, i've got the same on mine, i think its the oil stem seals

orange_andy
02-02-06, 11:04 AM
i had this problem in the freezin cold months ago, with my 1.4 sr manual choke, since i changed my KnN filter to a standard one and boarded up 70% of the messh grille, its never cut out since and warms up quicker, are you running a standard filter or K n N ? are you using the choke properly? i no it took me about 2months to acutally figure it out good, and only few weeks ago to find another better way,

end of the day, if you drive about for 20mins and get the engine hot, put the choke in, will it still start to die and judder? or is it only within like first 10 - 20mins of driving ?

Jon_nova1
02-02-06, 12:04 PM
he's got irratic revs, its nothing to do with cold

ally_worsley83
02-02-06, 01:08 PM
Thanks for your replies guys. The coil is in the distributor and was new a few months ago, but if I have fried it, it may well be the problem.

The problem is worse when its cold, but I know it's not the choke as I have had the carb a while, and the problem only started happening about a month ago, so although the cold doesn't help, it is not the only problem. I am running a K&N but it has a warm air feed, and hasn't been a problem yet.

I have to have the choke out (about half) to keep the engine idling properly, but obviously when you need to drive, there is too much fuel and the choke has to go in again. It's a constant juggle when she is cold, even when she is warm I still get stutters which makes me think electical...

Jon_nova1
02-02-06, 01:54 PM
the irratic revs still sound like an air leak, is it burning oil? if your going to get a new module, don't, buy a whole dizzy of ebay or the scrappy for a tenner or something :D

Adam
02-02-06, 02:17 PM
Use about half a choke until the engine will tickover without the choke at all.

ally_worsley83
02-02-06, 05:57 PM
It is not burning any oil, and I am not having problems with the choke setting, the engine just seems unsure of itself when the revs drop, warm or not.

I think I'm gonna have to take it to a garage and have them look at it...

Adam
02-02-06, 06:04 PM
Take it to a garage and get the carb tuned.