PDA

View Full Version : carbs set up and RR today

womble sri
31-01-06, 10:45 PM
well at long last my car has been set up with the new cam and sri head. it had new main and idle jets. the first run, with the carbs farting and missfiring, it produced 103bhp at 4700 rpm and after 4 hours of changing jets and fiddling with mixture screws the car put out 125bhp at 5800 rpm! which i thought was pretty damn good for a 1.4 sr. it flies now cant wait till take it up the strip!

krobinson
31-01-06, 10:55 PM
What cam are you running to get that figure?

Keith

womble sri
31-01-06, 11:08 PM
its a bp 300 from piper its the same one jim uses. the power is at the fly wheel though it think not sure though he said it was geared bad as well i.e that my speedlines are too big!? he didnt measure the torque either. is that normal

Stuart
01-02-06, 07:55 AM
Peter dosent bother measuring torque since its a bit of a farce in his opinion.. due to the fact that it varys on the gear ratios/FD/wheel size etc.

hes an old skool tuner so hes not got the stuff to do full range printouts etc.
Im sure when Jim gets on he will be able to tell you what he got at Petes rollers and then at another RR to kinda compare the "accuracy"

Good power though.. but the key is how it feels on the road ;)

Mark T
01-02-06, 09:03 AM
What is the spec of the engine?

womble sri
01-02-06, 12:03 PM
its just standard bottom end with the cam, pulley, skimmed sri head and dellorto 40's i have got a full system but standard manifold

Jim
01-02-06, 12:15 PM
When I went to peters I got around 155bhp without additive at the flywheel. Your readout will be flywheel based also. Peter doesn't tend to take the car high up the rev range as he comments, whats the point in taking the car past it's maximum?

For comparison sake I took my car to another rollers where they fettled with the dizzy and changed the jets over (even though we did this at Peters) subsequently the car put out 160bhp. I believe the extra 5bhp (if you assume both rollers are reasonably accurate) came from fiddling with the dizzy.

However, like all of these posts, use this as a gauge for how your car should perform on the road. You will get lots people who will be very sceptical of this figure, but take it all with a pinch of salt. Some rollers read high, some read low, it's all about how it drives that matters.

Jim

mikey14sr
01-02-06, 12:47 PM
Boggy set mine up with a simaler approach, he didn't take it past 5.5k as in his words "its not worth bothering for road use". I ended up with 85bhp at 5200, not too bad for a standard 1.3 bar the bp285 cam and 32/34 weber.

Adam
01-02-06, 02:54 PM
well at long last my car has been set up with the new cam and sri head. it had new main and idle jets. the first run, with the carbs farting and missfiring, it produced 103bhp at 4700 rpm and after 4 hours of changing jets and fiddling with mixture screws the car put out 125bhp at 5800 rpm! which i thought was pretty damn good for a 1.4 sr. it flies now cant wait till take it up the strip! That seems quite a good result mate, nice one.

:thumb:

Hows it drive at low rpm's with the 300deg cam?

womble sri
01-02-06, 03:25 PM
yeah it drives suprisingly nice but the lever that is pressed by the tick over screw is not long enough and peter didnt have anythinh that would do the job so its idleing on the cable. its ok really at low revs sometimes it does just bog down but i expected that. you just cant really stamp on the throttle under 2300rpm. im not really bothered about the actual figure because it really is something else its a lot faster than i thought it would be. peter did move the cam and the dizzy each way to see if it would make any power increase and i think we ended up setting the cam 2 degrees the other way. which gave the power increase. we were moving it one way and it was going up and down from 115 and 95 and i wasnt really paying much attention just concentrating on keeping the car on the rollers and he pointed at the machine which read 125bhp!

thirdeyeblindman
01-02-06, 04:40 PM
baldwins rollers are ****ing miles out... my pal races a mini and his is 140bhp on his ownrollers and beats a car with over 180bhp on baldwins rollers

Stuart
01-02-06, 05:22 PM
driver error? lol

the numbers from petes are meh.. the fact that his setup is great is the key...
the actual number is irrelecant if when you go in have a power tune, then tweek and come out with more than that first number... and a smoother drive etc = job done.. nevermind lol..

krobinson
01-02-06, 06:20 PM
yeah it drives suprisingly nice but the lever that is pressed by the tick over screw is not long enough and peter didnt have anythinh that would do the job so its idleing on the cable. its ok really at low revs sometimes it does just bog down but i expected that. you just cant really stamp on the throttle under 2300rpm!

Mine drives pretty much the same, my cam doesnt kick in till at least 3600/3800 depending, and it just pulls and pulls. On my graph it starts to drop off at about 6800 but when driving the car it doesnt seem to drop off at all.

I think Ben can back me up on how well it pulls, it certainly feels more than the figure it put out!

Mine put out 119bhp and 110ft, which i'd class as a low figure. I'm going to try two other RR's this year which have been known for stupid printouts and see what figures i can come up with!

What chokes do you run mate? i'm going to try larger ones once Stevens rollers are fully operational.

Keith

womble sri
01-02-06, 09:54 PM
in the end we used 130 main jets and 50 idle jets i think im not sure ive got it written down somewere if you wanna know. we decided to go for larger idle jets because it was spitting at about 1750 and 3200 and that cured it all though it runs a little rich. not sure what chokes they are though.

thirdeyeblindman
01-02-06, 11:03 PM
his dyno came outta noahs ark.. 130 is rich unless you are on 32mm chokes or so.

but you are right, numbers are numbers. I know keiths car... its a fecking rocket, coz my engine was built alongside his and ive seen his car on road.

lovely car by the way

Stuart
02-02-06, 08:06 AM
hmmmmmmmmm i wonder who you are....

benji
02-02-06, 09:51 AM
you gonna get yourself down to pod? and you keith. 125bhp is way too high, but as has been said it's all relative. if you went in and got a extra 20bhp from the set up then it's a good job whatever the figures.

Stuart
02-02-06, 11:57 AM
what was yours again benji?
it would be up a bit due to the 300deg cam.. so it might not be wildly out.. maybe 5bhp too much if anything.

thirdeyeblindman
02-02-06, 04:39 PM
your mans right.. its all relative

womble sri
02-02-06, 04:41 PM
im going next sunday weather permitting. i'll definetly be at pvs and usc but not sure if the car will be the same spec then. it will be good to see how it goes against some of the other big power 1400s hopefully you'll be able to make it keith. should be quite a good time because it puts the power down well and it is now gutted of all interior. i was a little suprised at the power figure but i am happy regardless of its accuracy because the car does fly. will definetely be up for racing at the pod though. the place that i bought the cam from, needforspeed.co.uk in scotland, had someone who advised me. he used to have a similar spec nova and was very eager to have a chat about novas and he said that he wouldnt of been suprised if it put out anything in excess of 130 bhp depending on the headwork i.e he said he used the bigger valve head and having a lot of time on his hands would sit there and grind it down so that there was literally a few mm from the plugs!

thirdeyeblindman
02-02-06, 04:56 PM
sounds like an idiot

womble your right.. sod the numbers , if it goes well, then enjoy it,

krobinson
02-02-06, 07:05 PM
it will be good to see how it goes against some of the other big power 1400s hopefully you'll be able to make it keith.

I should be at PVS, And i wanna do a few quaters to see how i get on. I run a full interior, spare wheel, cd's all over the place etc etc, so wouldnt be a good gauge of which engine is more powerful if yours is stripped.

Keith

Stuart
02-02-06, 07:26 PM
lol @ bringing the jim and dan argument into play... :D

womble sri
02-02-06, 07:34 PM
well i think yours is probablymore powerful because you have had much more work done than me but stripping the car dont half make a lot of difference i noticed it before i cammed mine. will still have to go up there together though and will get one of my mates to video it. ill let you know how i get on cos im heading up there next sunday.

krobinson
02-02-06, 08:07 PM
No problem mate. I would strip mine out, but i'd want it stripped like jims, i'd have to have the floor painted all nice inside, with 2 cobra imolas or suzika's.

Cant be bothered spending the money to be honest as the car's still very quick and comfortable with the trim :) (well, as comfortable as you get in a nova)

Keith

benji
02-02-06, 09:11 PM
mine made 108bhp. its got a 285 cam gasflowed sri head and the 40's i'll get it to pod again soon

womble sri
02-02-06, 09:33 PM
i know what you mean keith. mine looks **** you have got to get all the little brackets off paint it and that. i thought it would be mint and untouched and that it would come up nice with a good polish. its just got 17 yrs worth of dirt under there my mates is carpeted though and it looks pretty good although i am going to get the car sprayed when the weather is a bit better alongside withsome extra light panels and go for major weight reduction so might get the inside done aswell