PDA

View Full Version : Bumper filler

tappingt
29-01-06, 10:18 AM
Could someone please tell me how to smooth my GTE rear bumper, i do not want any lines on the car and the front bumper was already pre-smoothed, i have tried using surface filler however that didnt work at all. Please help Tom.

Stuart
29-01-06, 10:20 AM
i suggest looking in the styling forum

Mike.
29-01-06, 10:54 AM
Mate there's this special filler for bumpers, its more durable, the ordinary filler will just crack iff or when the bumpers been bent or twisted, i thinhalfords sell it.

Mike

novamadcars
29-01-06, 05:05 PM
yes halfords sell it but its only a little tube. I had 2 buy 3 tubes its around ?5 i think

tappingt
29-01-06, 08:10 PM
thanks alot for the advice, i went down to halfords and bought the bumper filler, i also had a crease in my rear bumper so hopefully it may do that job aswell. thanks tom

ade
29-01-06, 09:43 PM
standard filler will work but you MUST key the bumper 1st. Also - you MUST degrease it - get all those years of back to black (basically silicone greese) off the bumper otherwise youve got more chance of nailing jelly to a ceiling than smoothing the bumpers.

Crucial rule is NOT to bend the bumper - bumper filler is a little more elastic than standard filler however if you make it too thick it will just crack off.

Best way I find is to drill small holes at intervals along the grooves of the area to be filled, that way when you smooth the filler in, a small amouint seeps through the hole creating an anchor from behind. If you also deeply score the area to be filled, the filler can also go onto the score.

In addition, the 1st layer, mix standard filler with 10% acetone - this will bite into the plastic - the mix will be pretty runny - like putty - do it in small sections and wear a respirator - its also (for some reason) slightly flexible...also - try mixing a little less of the pink catalist - this will prelong the use time of the mix and it also wont set so hard...

Ade