PDA

View Full Version : blown it up

SuperNova!
29-01-06, 01:07 AM
when I changed the plugs last week I found some oil on number 4 cylinder plug, not much but a little

At about 6pm today my car started missing so as you do I knocked it off and got out and checked the leads were all on tidy and made sure everything looked okay, start it back up and drives no problem.

then drive around most of the night.

at 11:30 start the car up and it is missing like hell, drive down the road and it still does it pop the bonnet check the leads again,

No luck, try to get it home and only just make it up the hill and fills the hill with smoke car is juddering and missing like f@@k as well as knocking its bollox off :mad: !

so 1 week and 3 days and a blown up engine!!

1.2i here we come again!!

Ste L
29-01-06, 01:07 AM
unlucky lol

get a valver in there ;)

SuperNova!
29-01-06, 01:09 AM
My old man has a 3ltr 24valve motor there out of a carlton gsi???lol

Adam
29-01-06, 01:10 AM
Pah, its only a bit of smoke. lol

Check oil level, check water level ;)
if they have gone down its probably headgasket.

On second thoughts, knocking is probably the bottom end dying, due to lack of oil.

SuperNova!
29-01-06, 01:14 AM
tbh I wasnt expecting it to last long its burnt 7 litres of oil since last wednesday!! pmsl

Spent all day today cleaning and polishing it and now it goes and blows up on me!!

My radiator broke yesterday so water has been leaking slowly but i shoved some of that rad weld stuff in for the time being which stopped it leaking?:confused:

Adam
29-01-06, 11:52 AM
Well, if 7L of oil have gone in 5 days, i would of thought twice about driving it.
It sounds like the head gasket has gone, and oil has entered the cylinders.

Whip the head off and have a ganders.

SuperNova!
29-01-06, 04:40 PM
Right got up early this morning and got the car up the garage running on 2 and a bit cylinders 2 miles uphill and got the head off,

when looking at the headgasket it was apparant what had happened the gasket had split between an oil gallery and no1 cylinder causing my oily plug also the gasket had split between no1 and 2 cylinders.

Got the new one on and started it up waited for the crap to cclear and..

runs great much smoother and isnt smoking at all!:)

cheers for the help

Adam
29-01-06, 06:05 PM
You should have skimmed the head.

buster12345
29-01-06, 06:34 PM
yep you should of skimmed the head i will help boost your comprsion withch is a good thing

Iain
29-01-06, 06:49 PM
You should have skimmed the head.

Even if the head appears to be fine and flat it still needs skimming?

Adam
29-01-06, 06:53 PM
Well, it could of warped slightly driving it with the headgasket gone.

It might be ok without skimming it, but its taking a risk that the gasket might blow again if you dont have it skimmed.

SuperNova!
29-01-06, 11:51 PM
I left the engine cool down to cold before the head was taken off so that should have helped it not to warp.

Today i just needed it to be going again, Next week the head is coming off again and the valve stem rubbers are being changed as I didnt have time today, when the head comes off next I will get it skimmed although thiking about it Would I be better off buying a ported and polished head? got offered one the otherday from someone on here, i want more power but also I dont want it to be terrible on petrol and also while it is running tidy I dont want to mess it up.

seems to be running very well tonight:)