PDA

View Full Version : Had my car on the rollers this morning

SuperNova!
24-01-06, 04:39 PM
finally got my 1600 engine running well enough to make it to the tuning garage I got:

the timing was all to hell and mixture too so he fixed that first then:

1st run
93 bhp
141nm torque

some tinkering
second run
95bhp
144nm torque ~104ft/lbs

Not too bad thinking the engine is pretty old and only mods are janspeed 4 branch manifold and backbox,

I took my k&n with me and he said it would be better without it?

Any ideas on how to get more power withut spending crazy money? what cam would be suitable? 1600 sv engine

Thanks

Adam
24-01-06, 05:26 PM
The K&N would be better in the summer but may cause carb icing in the winter.

That seems a good result for the engine mate, nice one :)
You might find a 1.4SR cam has a bit more lift than your cam. Might be worthwhile fitting one. I cant remember the lift etc of the 1.6sv cam tho.

SuperNova!
24-01-06, 11:55 PM
Cheers mate I was impressed too I have the sheet here with the print out if anyone is in doubt.

My next plans are get the head off and change the valve stem rubbers to cure the smoking on the over-run, change the headgasket and other gaskets rocker and do some de-coking etc

then look at getting some more power out of it, will be looking into the cam as you said and weber 32/34?

If I can get 105 bhp I will be very happy.

Gunzi
25-01-06, 01:50 PM
Buy my ported & polished 1.6 SV head, just make me an offer around ?50!

That would up the power nicely on your engine. Photos in link below!

I was missold it as a 1.6 SE head and hence has never been fitted.

Gunzi
:D

craig green
25-01-06, 01:57 PM
GTE cam would be better .

Gunzi
25-01-06, 02:04 PM
I have one of those for sale too! ?20 to the man! PM me for pics of the cam, as they're not on my ad yet
Gunzi

Stuart
25-01-06, 02:07 PM
in all fairness, for the cost involced you migh aswell throw that 1.6 out and fit the 1.6mpi engine... instant 100bhp...

Adam
29-01-06, 12:32 AM
GTE cam would be better .
Why?
1.4SR has more lift.

SuperNova!
29-01-06, 12:38 AM
cheers for the suggestions guys but....

At about 6pm my car started missing so as you do I knocked it off and got out and checked the leads were all on tidy and made sure everything looked okay, start it back up and drives no problem.

then drive around

at 11:30 start the car up and it is missing like hell, drive down the road and it still does it pop the bonnet check the leads again,

No luck, try to get it home and only just make it up the hill and fill the hill with smoke car is juddering and missing like f@@k as well as knocking its bollox off!

so 1 week and 3 days and a blown up engine!!

1.2i here we come again!!