PDA

View Full Version : sounds like a scooby and lack of power

SRlew
24-01-06, 09:41 AM
well started the car just now, drove home and it sounded like a scooby and had less power than normal, got home was still like it so went to a shop and was still like it but then it cleared,

must of been like it for bout 10 mins.

i remember a mates xr2 sounded like this and was slow, and he'd blown the engine or somthing, but mine cleares after a bit. it does every now and the in the morning or after work.

is this my engine on its way out or what?

cheers, lew

orange_andy
24-01-06, 10:05 AM
what car is it, iv heard of people with carbed engines saying theres does it on a cold morning untill the engines warmed up

SRlew
24-01-06, 10:16 AM
ah thats alright then, i was getting worried that it was bout to die on me.

it a 1.4 SR with standard carb, and k&n.

cheers, lew

19-NoZ-19
24-01-06, 10:16 AM
sounds like it may not be running on all cylinders mate

Dar
24-01-06, 10:22 AM
Its exactly that. You car was running on 3 cylinders. Its damn annoying :evil:

johnny27
24-01-06, 10:50 AM
check the rods and the rotor arm in your dizzy cap, could be damp in the morings or maybe some dirt

F188CHG
24-01-06, 11:41 AM
check the rods and the rotor arm in your dizzy cap, could be damp in the morings or maybe some dirt

Or worse piston rings :(

Stuart
24-01-06, 11:56 AM
rings smoke under load.

id change your filter back to a std one for the cold months to allow the hot air to the carb etc etc

Rob-16v
24-01-06, 12:56 PM
Mine does it when its a really damp morning. its jst on your leads and coil etc. and dizzzy if you have one.

Lee
24-01-06, 07:38 PM
check your plugs / leads / dizzy as well

Riggy
24-01-06, 09:56 PM
pmsl :lol: private joke for rexy

"might need some easy start"

sorry for the hijack lol :lol:

SRlew
29-01-06, 05:06 PM
right cheers guys, well its had new rotor arm, dizzy cap and leads, i didnt think that it'd be caused by dampness, but must be that cause it clear's.

cheers for the replies guys, lew

morley
30-01-06, 08:54 AM
my 1.3Sr used to splutter and feel like it was going to cut out and had no power. Mine did it in the mornings and cold days.

Changed the Dizzy and its not done it sinse.

SRlew
31-01-06, 09:14 AM
yer thats what mines like but i put a new dizzy on it last week and its still like it.

looks like im going to have to live with it till summer.

Jon_nova1
31-01-06, 12:56 PM
with the new engine on mine it runs crap until its warmed up, which would be a good thing because it cant get ragged around and damaged, its like starting in second gear till it gets warm :D

SRlew
31-01-06, 03:05 PM
:) yer, if you look at it like that it doesnt seem to bad.

SRlew
02-02-06, 09:07 PM
right then i started the car this morning and its still like it, it been like it for days now. usually it clears up after about 5 mins and is back to normal.

but iv been driving it all day, and my brother was like oh it'll clear in a minute, (used to be his car) but it hasnt even cleared a little bit!

it sounds like a s**t scooby, or a banger, which ever way you look at it it sounds bad thou.

if it was like this because it was cold surely it would of cleared right? :confused:

and the engine defenatly got hot cause i done a fair few miles today and the heater was blowing out actual hot air.

sorry for this to keep draging on but its starting to do my head in.

its like im driving a 1.0 ltr with a realy loud exhaust. dont mean to offend anyone.

help aprieciated, lew

johnny27
03-02-06, 09:20 AM
would def think about changing to a brand new dizzy. They are well know in nova's to give this sort of prob, and also cause it to not start at all sum times. I went thru 3 used dizzy's on my nova, each one lasted about 3 weeks, so i ended up buying a brand new one and cured the problem

SRlew
03-02-06, 07:12 PM
i did by a brand new one, and a rotor arm, leads and plugs.

so im puzzled!

any one else?

cheers lew

SRlew
04-02-06, 10:14 PM
F**K YES!

thought id go out and have a look see at the engine just now,

checked dizzy and made sure leads were in the right way, then took out the plugs again and saw the ends were dry and light grey? whats that a sign of?

but sanded them back so they actually looked alright.

started it up and went to hear the noise from the back box and it was LOUD so thought it was stiil f**ked but then drove it and its got all its back to normal with all its power back and its louder than i thoughtlol with the straight through and an ashley.

after driving it round with the power of a mo-ped, it feels well rapid!
i could actually feel it pushing me back into my seat abit.

cheers for the replys, i notised that leads etc kept poping up so thats why i checked it :thumb: to you all.

lew

chris gsi
04-02-06, 10:27 PM
my old 1.4sr use to do that put a standard air filter back on with a hot air feed untill summer i put different carbs on and all sorts and it was the fuel freezing with to much cold air

SRlew
04-02-06, 10:39 PM
no way, i didnt even know that could happen. cheers
hey you learn somthing new everyday!

lew

orange_andy
13-02-06, 11:34 AM
iv just experienced this this morning, got down the road, and it sounded like a scooby, didnt have any power didnt pull had me foot down in first felt like i was in 5th, drove around for few mins cleared it, was quite a wet dull morning, im gonna check my dizzy,

MrSilicone
13-02-06, 11:51 AM
Have you got a cat on the exhaust?? my nova cat disolved inside and was blocking the exhaust, hence the lack of power and scooby sounding exhaust.
wortha look if you've changed everything else.

orange_andy
13-02-06, 12:10 PM
i dont know if its got a cat, its a 1992 j reg so thats when it changed over ? first time its done it today, but had a mechanic looking at my breaks and checked the engine said the dizzy was in good order,

Adam
13-02-06, 03:21 PM
If you have a carb engine then you dont have a CAT.

SRlew
13-02-06, 08:27 PM
mines alright now, i just have to clean/sand the end of the spark plugs every now and again, but havent had to do it for a while.

Ash
14-02-06, 11:43 PM
i had the same problem but after changing the dizzy, leads and plugs, then changed the carb and found that the gasket was split, ran fine after that

jamie gsi16v
15-02-06, 12:01 AM
If you have a carb engine then you dont have a CAT.

single point 1200s have cats ;) and carbs;)

Adam
15-02-06, 12:16 AM
single point 1200s have cats ;) and carbs;)
No, it has a throttle body, not a carb :thumb: :)

jamie gsi16v
15-02-06, 12:18 AM
it is a carb tho

Adam
15-02-06, 12:28 AM
It aint.Lol
A carb uses air vaccum to suck fuel in.

A throttle body injects fuel into the air.