PDA

View Full Version : rear discs

Anonymous
28-09-00, 01:57 PM
can i stick the rear discs off a cavalier onto the back of my nova? whats involved?

Anonymous
28-09-00, 02:52 PM
I fitted astra GSI (N reg) rear discs, the stub axle had diferent hole centres to the nova ones which meant cutting the old mounting plate off the end of the axle and fabricating new ones and welding them back on. Don't try this it is complicated and I understand there are easier ways. I think the MK2 astra and mk3 cav bolt straight on but you will need the handbrake cable end stops off the cav axle which will need welding or bolting to the nova axle. I made my own end stops from a piece of 20mm steel electrical conduit with a slot cut along it. I used the astra MK3 GSI handbrake cable but I think you will need the cav one. Don't take what I have said as definate as I havn't done the exact mod you are talking about this is just from things I have read.

Anonymous
28-09-00, 06:17 PM
nahh mate they wont bolt straight on u have to redrill the rear axle and u can use a nova handbrake cable as long as u shorten it a bit

Anonymous
29-09-00, 11:57 PM
I heard that for the rear disc conversion you have to also change the m/c and servo, and also fit a brake proportioning valve (although I don?t see ow to fit a brake valve to 2 pipes... Any advice on that?
Cheers!

Anonymous
30-09-00, 01:36 PM
You don't need to change the master cylinder or servo. When a brake bias valve is fitted the brakes have seperate front and rear circuits, where as a standard car has two diagonally opposite(ie front right and rear left) circuits. This means for biased brakes only one pipe runs to the rear via the valve it is then split in to two and runs off to the rear flexi pipes. The problem with this set up is if one cicuit fails you could be left with just front or rear brakes! which could be unpleasant.

Anonymous
30-09-00, 07:09 PM
i didnt even need a valve in mine. you will be okay if u fit the valver front brakes to balance it out. trust your uncle micky!