PDA

View Full Version : The passenger and the brown stuff.

sickrabbit
22-01-06, 12:11 PM
My passenger door has always looked a little proud on the bottom corner , but it was,nt till yesterday that I found the reason . There were a few rust spots and the paint was blistered , so after rubbing the paint away a massive hole was found , badly filled ( top skim was ok tho ) and rusting like mad. Out came the angle grinder and lo and behold the area was cut away. The area covers just below the now removed side bumper down to the corner , and right thru to the inner door corner. Its now been bridged ( after treatment ) with alloy mesh and isopon , sanded to a reasonable level ,and now filled . The worst part is waiting for the stuff to go off ( 15mins ) standing around in the cold before the sanding begins and then primimng.
" Patience in cold weather grasshopper." Pure indurance stuff when your full of tea.
Even tho , I,ve cut back to clean steel and filled as smooth as possible I fear the bottom corner will still sit slightly proud. Therefore do the passenger doors warp at all with the dreaded rust and age ? The rest of it seems ok . Perhaps the previous owner clanged it on summat........ :|

I hate rust. :evil:

Lee
22-01-06, 12:44 PM
hmm, typical! Very brave of you to repair it mr rabbit, if it was mine the door would have been replaced. Once the worms are in they never leave mate!

Iain
22-01-06, 12:48 PM
My driver side sits slightly out, and that's bubbling with rust. Again. It's easy to say "replace the door" but when I was looking they're quite hard to find (unless Vauxhall still sell them?)

Lee
22-01-06, 12:51 PM
agreed, it is getting harder to find a solid one, but one must persevere :lol:

I believe you can still get doorskins new though.

Mike.
22-01-06, 02:42 PM
My driver side sits slightly out, and that's bubbling with rust. Again. It's easy to say "replace the door" but when I was looking they're quite hard to find (unless Vauxhall still sell them?)

there not that hard to find, i bought some rust and dent free doors from a Vauxhall breakers.

amggsi
22-01-06, 03:29 PM

Vauxhall still sell them, ?250 + VAT each, and I was told that the hinges are wrong!!! Skins are ?115 each.