PDA

View Full Version : BAng then popping

Nath
20-01-06, 09:33 PM
ok guys help needed. drove down my road this morning, and all of a sudden i heard a noise just like someone dropping a metal bar out of the window, then as soon as put my foot on the clutch the car wouldnt really tick over. as if the timing was well out. anyway drove the car home and it was backfiring and popping like mad.

parked on my drive, turned the car off, then back on and it was fine!!! drove it to my local garage and they checked it out said it was ok. then as i drove it home the car started running badly again.

any ideas guys??

johnny27
20-01-06, 10:11 PM
Are u runinng a carbed engine, could be as simple as a blocked jet, or maybe not. The sound you heard could of been the carb backfiring up the airfilter. Does sound like a ignition timing fault, but it would'nt have corrected itself for a while then came back, it would of been permanent. Altought make sure your dizzy is clamped on tight, as i had mine jump foward with the force of the cam before, cause it was loose. Hope this helps

Nath
20-01-06, 10:43 PM
yeh the dizzy is on tight, gonna take my air filter off tommorow and check the jets

probert_nova
21-01-06, 12:17 AM
i had similar thing happen but i doubt you'd miss it, the backbox had split which caused it to backfire and pop, stopped for a while but gradually got worse till the car wouldn't run. so could be that or maybe baffle.

Nath
21-01-06, 01:18 AM
thats what my dad has said maybe the baffle has come out. restricting the exhaust gases coming out. gonna whack my back box off 2morra and check it out.

cheers guys

Adam
21-01-06, 02:05 PM
If its a Ashley backbox then it dont have a baffle, its a straight through silencer.
The middle box has no baffle either.
Only standard backboxes have baffles IIRC.

Sounds like a timing problem to me and firing through back up through the carb.

Is the cambelt fine and not slipped?
It sounds more ignition timing related tho.

johnny27
21-01-06, 02:10 PM
are u sure that the engine was not of a cyclinder when it started poping, as this can cause a carb backfire as well as the banging, poping and spitting. Check your rotor arm and the little brass/carbon ends in the cap

Nath
23-01-06, 06:21 PM
sorted it, it was the coil,plugs,leads, and dizzy cap there were all fucked. in one go!