PDA

View Full Version : Not Starting?

zola
20-01-06, 09:26 PM
I've recently swapped over the cylinder head on the GTE and for some reason it wont start. I've checked all the basic things like dizzy, leads etc. It sounds like it wants to start when I turn the ignition but it just wont turn over. Has anyone had this problem when changing a head as I'm new to all this?

Thanks

johnny27
20-01-06, 10:17 PM
could be the hydraulic (sp?) tappets, some times they take a while to readjust, with the oil pressure. If thats the case it will evenutally fire up, try putting a booster pack on the battery when your cranking the engine as it can take awhile. Would do no harm also to take the top cover off the rocker and check that the rockers are all in place, i had happen before that a few of the rockers had fallen out of postition, when cranking for the first time after doing the head gasket

Adam
20-01-06, 10:22 PM
Does it actually crank?
Or wont it turn over?

If it just wont start then it could be a cam timing problem.

zola
29-01-06, 05:59 PM
With regards to my engine not starting I found out that the timing was well out, but it still doesn't start. Now I'm thinking it could be an electrical fault somewhere.

Does anybody have any ideas on this?

Adam
29-01-06, 06:17 PM
If the cam timing was out, then you could of damaged a valve or two, hence not starting.
Do you have fuel and a spark?

zola
29-01-06, 06:40 PM
Yes there's a spark but not sure about the fuel getting through?