PDA

View Full Version : Better brake pads and shoes

tom_beverley
20-01-06, 09:08 PM
My pads need replacing soon and this time I'm going to uprate the pads and shoes. I've got 2.0 16v discs and calipers with standard rear drums and I'm looking at getting some EBC Yellowstuff pads, has anyone tried these, what are they like, recommend something else?

Also I'm finding it hard to find some similar uprated shoes, where can I get some?

Thanks for your time

Tom

Lee
20-01-06, 09:16 PM
Stay away from EBC greenstuff, whatever you do!

Go for some Pagid Fast Road pads, you can obtain them from Courtenay for a good price!

Dar
20-01-06, 09:45 PM
I can also reccomend Mintex 1144 pads.

However I only upgraded to Mintex pads and grooved discs because I was getting break fade after a few laps on track and finally I managed to destroy the standard pad, it just fell apart. Unless your getting break fade I wouldn't bother getting expensive pads just for road use. Obviously ignore these comments if you are running the car on track etc etc, but the car in your feature is only a 1.2 so the bigger discs should be ample all day long. Even on track.

tom_beverley
20-01-06, 10:12 PM
My feature is old, I've got a new car now, need to sort my feature out really.

I've got a 1.4SR with a B+ head, twin 40's and cam, with a Cavalier Gsi brake setup and since my pads need replacing I'm going to upgrade the pads and shoes so I have a bit more stopping power.

Lee
20-01-06, 11:08 PM
I wouldnt worry about the rears, just make sure the drums are in good nick and theres plenty of flesh on the shoes. Not even sure you can get uprated shoes TBH!!

As Dar said, unless your tracking the car or you drive like a chav, decent standard equipment should be fine to stop an SR, but if you want decent pads, go for the pagid or Mintex setup, just dont go near greenstuff, the stuff flakes off like cheese :lol:

Stuart
21-01-06, 09:13 AM
you cant really get uprated brake shoes for the nova lol. i guess you could find a VX with bigger rear drums and still 4stud and fit those.... but then for that effort you might aswell do a disc conversion.

Also yellowstuff isnt really for road use, you wont ever get the heat into them each time to use them right so your braking will be "worse" than std pads.

Lee, i had greens on the front of the omega and i couldnt say a bad word about them....... i guess it varys on application/use lol

Lee
21-01-06, 10:10 AM
Lee, i had greens on the front of the omega and i couldnt say a bad word about them....... i guess it varys on application/use lol

Yeah, i would imagine the omega didnt get caned quite as much! I found they took two laps to warm up, they were awesome for about 3 or 4 laps, and then they started going off and ejecting big lumps of themselves onto the wheel lol :lol:

Adam
21-01-06, 02:09 PM
I would just stick with GM or Mintex pads, and leave the shoes standard.

I have Mintex front pads, they seem pretty decent, especially for ?12,lol.