PDA

View Full Version : What a week

SuperNova!
20-01-06, 02:40 PM
I tell you what a nightmare week ive had,

get the 1600 in after having a nightmare lining mounts up,

Bought a 4 branch from a sr and my sri exhaust wouldnt fit so bought the pipe which the cat would have been on and fitted,

tried to join the pipe to the middle box and its a different join had to go and buy a middle box aswell

cant get a spark with the coil from the donar astra although it was running before so i used my standard 1.2i coil and distribitor and it runs the engine??

took ages to start and had to go and borrow one of those charger packs.

get it to start and the timing is all to bollox 180 degrees out????

adjusted it so it ticked over

take it for a drive and cant get fifth,

Second choke isnt opening on the carb

and the exhaust is blowing

changed the plugs and fixed the exhaust

Little bit of oil on no4 cylinder plug

a bit smokey if you floor it? hopefully a valve stem rubber which I can fix, if its a piston ring ill run the engine into the ground and get a replacement

last night my drivers side (obviously) wiper stopped working got a new linkage this morning

The list continues...

ANDYRACER
20-01-06, 05:09 PM
Sounds like a typical nova to me :(

Adam
20-01-06, 05:17 PM
1-I told you the SR manifold wouldn't fit the SRI exhaust :wink:
2-The 1.2i dizzy wont work right with a 1600sv engine, as it has no vacuum advance.
The 1.6 dizzy probably isn't producing a spark because the coil is not fully wired.
3-If you had a 4spd box originally, you cant get 5th until you mod the gearstick so it goes in the fifth gear position.
4-The smoke if you floor it, if Blue, is probably the piston rings. Its usually the stem seals if it smokes on deceleration.

SuperNova!
20-01-06, 06:05 PM
Quite right "long live the nova" I got a 14sr pipe which fits onto the downpipe like you said then it wouldnt fit onto the middle box itself :o lol

Is it worth buying some engine stop smoke crap or shall I just drive it until it smokes too much and throw another one in? The smoke isnt too bad though but sounds like piston rings to me too :|

The engine seems to be running quite good with the dizzy although i only have one choke?

I have the coil from the 1600 but dont realy know how to wire it up?

Adam
20-01-06, 06:34 PM
I think the coil has 3 wires, rev counter, earth and a switched live.

You could just keep using the engine, see if it clears.
It might be a bit smoking if its been standing for a bit.

Jim
20-01-06, 06:41 PM

Sounds like a bodge to me.

Jim

SuperNova!
21-01-06, 11:53 AM
Sounds like your a Bell-end Jim.

If you dont have anything constructive to say then please dont say anything at all.

dan16v
21-01-06, 12:03 PM

Sounds like a bodge to me.

Jim

lol a case of do things rite the first time!

Timmy
21-01-06, 12:30 PM
sound a bad week to me. but give the car a good clean. then chill and work on one thing at a time and do it right this time around. you'll be up and Running in no time

Snowface
21-01-06, 03:39 PM

If you dont have anything constructive to say then please dont say anything at all.

lol, constructive criticism.

If you had researched more thoroughly, what was needed before hand then it probably would have saved you a lot of money, time and hassle.

I guess some learn the hard way.

Ste L
21-01-06, 04:14 PM
3-If you had a 4spd box originally, you cant get 5th until you mod the gearstick so it goes in the fifth gear position.

i always though that untill i set the gear's up on the valver, 1.0 had a 4speed, got the xe in it now, set linkage perfect first time, and didn't have to mod any of the gear stick, i though i would of had to, but i didn't for some strange reason

Nick
21-01-06, 11:46 PM

shut up you complete fool

:roll:

SuperNova!
22-01-06, 12:27 AM
cheers nick. :wink:

Mike.
22-01-06, 02:08 AM

shut up you complete fool

:roll:

lmao :lol:

i don't know why i found that so funny lol.