PDA

View Full Version : Moving battery to boot

Rob77
19-01-06, 01:42 PM
I am just about to move my battery to the boot in my Nova, to get a bit of weight in the rear, but on Mig they are all talking about hydrogen being given off while it is charging.

I don't really want to explode to be honest.

Seen a few cars in the feature section with batteries in the boot.

Anybody got any advice, should I do it, or is it too much of a risk?

This is the box I have got to put it in: Battery box (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15271&item=4604354214)

-Bruce-
19-01-06, 04:04 PM
Its only a small amount of hydrogen that gets given off when charging. I thought about this when putting my battery in the boot. I never used a battery box either just mounted the battery in the spare wheel well, but as far to the front as possible.

Bruce

MARTIN KELSON
19-01-06, 04:17 PM
You could get a gel battery, they give of no gas at all so be safe inside car.

Not that cheap though. Look in Demon Tweeks that will give you a rough idea.

beavy69
19-01-06, 04:51 PM
Hi Rob, what you say is true, most batteries have screws on the top that the reccomend you loosen when charging the battery with a car charger. But this is because if the battery is low enough to require charging it will product more gas than normal.

When I have been sitting in my car with the cd player on for a while, I can hear the noise (like a balloon deflating with finger and thumb squeezing the end to leave a small gap - thats the best I could think of) of gas leaking out of the battery.

I have never herd of sufficient gas being produced when running for it to explode, and that's probably why. If you're worried unscrew all the screws on you're battery just to overcome the initial surface friction which would be a safegaurd. But obviouly don't unscrew it to the point where battery fluid could leak out.

You're box is a good idea because if it was going to explose it would do so at the seam which is norm on the side/bottom.

Rob-16v
19-01-06, 04:52 PM
You need to get a battery with a vent on it, like merc a class or citeron picasso, then you feed a tube outside the car.

Stuart
19-01-06, 05:48 PM
for a gel battery its probably best to look at bike ones. they are "only"about ?50 compared to ?100ish that tweeks will con you out of.

R1CH
19-01-06, 09:24 PM
You need to get a battery with a vent on it, like merc a class or citeron picasso, then you feed a tube outside the car.

I got a std Varta battery for a Nova from a local garage for mine, has a small vent on the side - stick a bit tube off it to the outside - job sorted !!

Rich

mowgli
19-01-06, 09:52 PM
there isn't much wrong with the original fit AC Delco battery they are sealed for life anyway.

Due to the much longer distances, remember to use heavy duty (for lorrys or diggers) battery leads and insulate them well.

Lee
19-01-06, 10:02 PM
My batteries in the back, and im still alive.

Stop being a fanny and do it :lol:

Simes
19-01-06, 10:38 PM
is there really that much point?? or am i just being blonde lol

Rob-16v
19-01-06, 10:43 PM
The think is the further away the battery, the less power you get when cranking. thats why ppl who have minis move it from the boot to to under the seats.

Rob77
19-01-06, 10:51 PM
Due to the much longer distances, remember to use heavy duty (for lorrys or diggers) battery leads and insulate them well.

Hadn't thought of that mate, cheers for that tip!

Stop being a fanny and do it :lol:

Will do it tomorrow, sorry for my fannyish behaviour!

is there really that much point?? or am i just being blonde lol

Well, I am about to fit an 20XE to the car, which has no interior at all, just buckets cage and steering wheel, so there is NO weight in the back of the car.
So when the UBER heavy XE goes in the front, there will be almost even less weight on the rear of the car, causing the back end to be super twitchy, which I don't really want!
Moving the battery to the rear will mean less weight at the front, and more at the back, meaning the back end won't overtake me as easily when I'm going round a corner!

Checked my battery and found is has a vent tube, which I shall attach a piece of tubing to and route to the outside of the car.

Thanks all!

Rob.

:+:

Lee
20-01-06, 06:50 PM
Actually rob, putting the battery in the back will in effect promote more lift off oversteer, thats why i did it. With no weight in the back and all of it on the front, its understeer thats your enemy, not a twitchy rear :wink: (unless you're fitting discs on the back which i hope your not! )

loggyboy
21-01-06, 12:23 AM
Actually rob, putting the battery in the back will in effect promote more lift off oversteer, thats why i did it. With no weight in the back and all of it on the front, its understeer thats your enemy, not a twitchy rear :wink: (unless you're fitting discs on the back which i hope your not! )

How do you work that out??

Lift off is caused by weight shifting to the front and lighting the weight (and there fore grip) of the back wheels.
the reason y ur car will have suffered from understeer is more likely due to having stiff suspension and the weight not gettin a chance to shift, and therefore unbalance the car. stiffen the rear shocks and soften the front and the tail will soon be beating u round the corner

Lee
21-01-06, 10:25 AM
I have more lift off oversteer with the battery in the back than i did with it in the front, so i worked it out from doing it :lol:

Rob77
21-01-06, 11:17 AM
I have more lift off oversteer with the battery in the back than i did with it in the front, so i worked it out from doing it :lol:

Hmm, anymore opinions?

Dar
21-01-06, 04:13 PM
Put the battery in the back and then tune your suspension and tyre pressures to suit your driving style.

If you haven't got adjustable suspension, then play with your tyre pressures, you will be supprised at how much of a diiference they can make.

loggyboy
22-01-06, 02:02 AM
Probly just in your mind :P - a few kilos of battery can only change the dynamics so much.

Lee
22-01-06, 02:04 PM
Probly just in your mind :P - a few kilos of battery can only change the dynamics so much.

TBH, your probably right, as a hell of a lot of weight has come out of the car at the same time as I moved it, so put simply, yes, im probly spouting bullox, but I still think it has a positive effect, and well worth doing :)