PDA

View Full Version : Three headgasket failures =(

Iain
18-01-06, 09:53 AM
This can't be normal. Last night out driving I blew my third head gasket (was replaced twice before by my mechanic) and I've only owned the car for a little over a year. White smoke out exhaust, bubbling air in coolant tank...

He mentioned if it happened again they'd look for underlying problems which might cause it. Just thought I'd put it to you lot before I gave it to him to fix again; what might be causing it?

Cheers.

Stuart
18-01-06, 10:05 AM
have you had the ehad and block skimmed/checkd for flatness?

does it overheat bigtime before poping?
have you got too much ign advance which can kill the HG (but it would also spank the pistons too)

Iain
18-01-06, 10:14 AM
Okay I'm not good with engines & their terminology :P I let my mechanic do it all. Just thought I'd ask to get an idea of anything he mentions if he finds something wrong.

However I think he said he had skimmed the head when he did the first headgasket. Last night it did not overheat at all, but luckily I was around the corner from my house when it started pouring out smoke so I could drop it off quickly.

No idea about the ignition advance you speak of :?

MARTIN KELSON
18-01-06, 10:52 AM
Whot engine is it?
Personally after number 3 i would cut my losses and get a cheap 2nd hand engine.
Loads out there for 200-300 quid complete.

Get your mechanic to fit instead of wasting time trying to fix.

Sounds drastic i know but at least you might get confidence back in reliability.

Iain
18-01-06, 10:56 AM
It's a 1.2 carb, nothing special. If I can get it fixed for the same price as a new engine surely that would be better as it (supposedly) wouldn't happen again and there's a chance the 'new' engine could have similar problems...?

MARTIN KELSON
18-01-06, 11:45 AM
Its happened now 3 times so i wouldn't trust it being supposidly fixed once and for all.

If its only a 1.2 carb engine bet you would get another engine cheaper than i said earlier.

If you can get the history of car engine is cuming out of and hear it running you should be ok.

End of day its your money its upto you this is just my personal oppinion.

Cheers

Lee H
18-01-06, 12:32 PM
I agree with Martin, people are giving those engines away now.

May even be a good opportunity for an engine swap, can pick GTE/GSi lumps up for ?100 (probably less than the cost of the garage doing headgasket)

Iain
18-01-06, 12:41 PM
I agree with Martin, people are giving those engines away now.

May even be a good opportunity for an engine swap, can pick GTE/GSi lumps up for ?100 (probably less than the cost of the garage doing headgasket)

I'd love to, but I'm 18 and trying to keep insurance down. :(

I'll look in to a new engine anyhow, girlfriends mum works in a salvage yard so might find something cheap.

Riggy
18-01-06, 06:18 PM
pay about ?80 and get a new 1.2 engine

and then fit it yourself , its so easy , and if you arnt that confident in doin it - somebody on here would help for a few brews and bacon buttys :lol:

mowgli
18-01-06, 07:38 PM
I would imagine your mechanic friend has got a very old manual, because the later books (1988 onwards) finally printed the extra torque on the head bolts because the earlier cars ate head gaskets.

I went through about 6 gaskets before I found out, but at least I can strip & rebuild a 1.2 head in under 2 hours.

Lee
18-01-06, 08:03 PM
If your mechanic has already replaced two head gaskets without testing the head for signs of warping or having it crack tested, then i'd steer clear of him IMO :lol:

Iain
18-01-06, 08:21 PM
I went through about 6 gaskets before I found out, but at least I can strip & rebuild a 1.2 head in under 2 hours.

Glad I'm not the only one who has suffered lol.

My mate recons he can help me replace the head gasket and get the head skimmed if necessary (price of gasket set & ?20 for skimming he says). Recon that's worth one more shot or chances are it'll happen again? Sounds like a bit of work lugging an engine back to my house. :P

Sloth
20-01-06, 10:37 PM
where are you? t can help for t and buttys, if your oop north, hull ish!
btw i got a c20ne, f16, loom, ecu, and brakes for 80 quid. and im 19.