PDA

View Full Version : gsi v sport

vauxdan
15-01-06, 06:22 PM
hi everbody can some one tell why the nova sport is quicker than a gsi when the gsi has 100bhp and the sport only has 87 the figuires i have are from total vaux they say gsi hits 60 in 9 secs and the sport in 8.9 :?: :?:

Philsutton
15-01-06, 06:29 PM
it'll be lighter, different gear ratios? not just about power

paul james
15-01-06, 09:45 PM
as someone who currently has both of these cars i can certainly say the sport has a bit more acceleration speed. And the sport came in two guises, one with a normal cam having 87 bhp, or you had the option of a sportier cam giving 100 bhp.

Will
15-01-06, 11:37 PM
as someone who currently has both of these cars i can certainly say the sport has a bit more acceleration speed. And the sport came in two guises, one with a normal cam having 87 bhp, or you had the option of a sportier cam giving 100 bhp.

dont think the cam gave an additional 13 hp but sum1 else can confirm this im sure

which is yours? with optional cam or without

burgo
16-01-06, 12:43 AM
i very much doubt a cam on a 1.3 na gave 13bhp. i thought they were only 87bhp with the enem cam

orange_andy
16-01-06, 10:48 AM
didnt know there was a sport, are these very rare of something

novalovingned
16-01-06, 11:03 AM
:o

Nick
16-01-06, 11:53 AM

dont think the cam gave an additional 13 hp but sum1 else can confirm this im sure

which is yours? with optional cam or without

The cam didn't give 13bhp (i don't think )

paul james
16-01-06, 01:00 PM
My mistake its actually 93 bhp with the cam, its faster than the gsi/gte because those cars use fuel injection thats electronically controlled to be economical. Whereas the carbs on a sport are (or at least should be), set up to use the maixmum performance of the engine using as much fuel as possible.

Will
16-01-06, 01:36 PM
didnt know there was a sport, are these very rare of something]

1985 C plate

503 made only ;)

Adam
16-01-06, 02:37 PM
didnt know there was a sport, are these very rare of something]

1985 C plate

503 made only ;)
I've seen a D-reg sport :wink:
Well, he said it was a sport anyway,lol.

Paul-Carbs can never fuel as accurately as fuel injection, the reason fuel injection engines ae more economical is that they have very precise injectors, and lambda,cts etc to get the fueling as spot on as it can be.

AFAIK the reason a sport is as quick/quicker than a gte/gsi is that gsi's have electric windows,central locking, extra wiring etc etc. It all adds up to slow the car down :wink:

hendrix
16-01-06, 02:55 PM
I have an Enem cam from a 1300 engine. is that a nova sport cam per chance???
oh its forsale btw 8)

paul james
16-01-06, 04:03 PM
the extra weight from electric windows, side skirts and the other gsi bits dont really add up to a lot of weight. Fuel injection on a gsi is not set to make the most of the engine, thats why people chip them. The carbs are set to make the most of the engine, which is why its quicker.

Nick
16-01-06, 05:30 PM
the extra weight from electric windows, side skirts and the other gsi bits dont really add up to a lot of weight. Fuel injection on a gsi is not set to make the most of the engine, thats why people chip them. The carbs are set to make the most of the engine, which is why its quicker.

Yes but the Sport has less BHP , and the GSi has more.

So therefore the carbs don't make more power.

It's all mainly due to weight, as that's a changing factor between the cars.

They'l shift the torque down to lower rev range so it'l pull alot better. But the weight is the primary reason, No electric windows,no central locking lighter interior, lighter bodywork, lighter engine e.t.c

krobinson
16-01-06, 05:47 PM
Did the sport run a F10 CR or WR?

Keith

burgo
16-01-06, 08:38 PM
didnt know there was a sport, are these very rare of somethingwere you born yesturday??

Will F
17-01-06, 09:09 AM
The sport is quicker mostly due to weight, but the power delivery is also different, due to the carbs...

Where in S Wales are you mate? I would be interested in seeing the Sport....

skud52
17-01-06, 06:19 PM

Yes but the Sport has less BHP , and the GSi has more.

So therefore the carbs don't make more power.

It's all mainly due to weight, as that's a changing factor between the cars.

thats not what he's saying, what he means is that the injection is setup to run econimically, therefore not making the most power from the setup, however the sports have the carbs which have been added to make the most power from the engine available.

the difference will be down to the increased weight of the gsi tho.