PDA

View Full Version : fitting a backbox, plz help

srnova_87
15-01-06, 05:51 PM
hey guys im new to all this forum stuff so il keep it short and simple (i hope :oops: ). i managed to pick up a rage backbox for my 1.2, and am planning on fitting it myself. i have also managed to source some pipe tubing which i am going to clamp to the backbox 1 end, and the mid section where the old backbox will come off. the things i need to know are: what is the easiest way to get the old backbox off still being able to get it back on again because i have my m.o.t soon and am not sure whether the backbox will be too loud (are there noise restrictions on m.o.t's?). the last bit i need help on is lining everything up o.k, because i have offered the backbox up under the car, and it doesnt look like it will come out the bumper straight. will it look sh*t if it comes out at a slight angle?? cheers guys sorry if it sounds like a stupid question but i wana do it myself, i havent found anywhere that will do it for less than about 90 quid :cry: cheers

Adam
15-01-06, 08:25 PM
I would have avoided a universal box at all cost for a nova, as they have a stupid middle pipe to backbox join angle, so a universal box will come out at a angle unless you fit a pipe with a bend in it to correct the angle.

As for fitting, you just need to get a piece of pipe, clamp one end onto the universal box, and the other onto the car middle section.

There are noise restrictions for MOTs, but it depends on the tester as to what they think is too loud.

Just hammer the old backbox off with a sledge hammer, it shouldn't damage it,much :lol:

Sloth
15-01-06, 08:30 PM
mot noise regs are at the testers discretion, my corsa c runs straight thru and it passed its mot! :twisted:

srnova_87
16-01-06, 03:21 PM
i have now managed to bend the bit of pipe i had to try and solve the problem, am going to give it a go. only problem i can now see is that the backbox wont come out straight and will scrub on the wheel, there isn't going to be much clearance :? any ideas then?? any1 got pics of their systems? strange question but would help to be able to follow a picture and copy it. cheers