PDA

View Full Version : no oil pressure, it just died

SRlew
14-01-06, 10:05 PM
well went for a drive friday night, a focus went past me (on a private road)so i went after him.
(only had it on the road a couple of months so still like trying it on with cars with more power)
it was only up a little bit of road, not as if i was for miles. maybe half mile. only just managed to put it to 4th.

then bout 10-20 mins later i put the clutch in to change gear round a round about, and it just died. the oil light came on so i luckily managed to push it to a petrol garage.

there is a bit of oil on the rocker cover, and nearly all of the engine.

i thought it might of been head gasket but theres no classic signs of that, ie water mixing with oil.

i left it for 5 mins and it started, drove off then it died again.

and when i towed it home it started again but you carnt drive it for more than bout 15 secs.

also if it was head gasket it wouldnt start would it cause my brothers didnt when his went.

i know you carnt realy tell with out seeing it but can anyone narrow it down abit for me?

help apprieciated, lew

Nath
14-01-06, 11:09 PM
you can start a car with a headgasket gone sometimes. when i killed my 1.2 i ran it for 2 days on a cracked headgasket, poured out white smoke mind you and died in amazing fashion.

you dont want to keep running it though m8, its not going to do it any favours.

Jon_nova1
15-01-06, 01:50 AM
my car kept dying in amazing fashion too, we got it started and it died from 5000RPM when the gasket had gone,

find out where the oil came from, make sure you don't have a hole in your engine, if your oil gets too low the crakshaft will end up being a melted welded peice of metal with no use :?

Lee
15-01-06, 01:30 PM
my car kept dying in amazing fashion too, we got it started and it died from 5000RPM when the gasket had gone,

find out where the oil came from, make sure you don't have a hole in your engine, if your oil gets too low the crakshaft will end up being a melted welded peice of metal with no use :?

If you lose oil pressure, the camshaft is normally the first to suffer, still not good though obvioulsly!

Was the car overfilled with oil? Its possible its all blown back after you started ragging it and its clogged something up.

SRlew
15-01-06, 04:56 PM
not had it running since it happend.

just been out to have a look, its like the oil is seeping from all the top 3 gaskets a bit and the oil cap a little bit.

carnt see any holes in the engine.

theres still NO signs of the head gasket gone, like the whit gunk crap and dodgey oil.

thought id start it and see if i could see anything happening with the engine, but it started up first time and cut out after litrally 2 secs.

i checked the oil and every thing on thursday (day before it happend) and it was all fine, just checked the oil and its obviously droped now to just over the min mark, just put some in, thats when i tryed starting it.

now it wont start.

cheers for your replys guys.

sorry if the post seems long, just trying to describe it all.

cheers, lew

also. people keep telling me to get it to a garage and get it sorted, but i dont see the point at the minute as i want to put a different head on with a cam and 40's, so i might as just wait and get fit it all and fix it at once right?

need to find a runabout festa or sumin if any close has got one?

Rob-16v
15-01-06, 05:09 PM
did it smoke? if you have lost oil, where has it gone? if the oil pump has packed up then all the oil is in the sump whilst it is runnin which will give is blow by past the rings.look in ur breather is the oil and crap in them?

Nick
15-01-06, 05:12 PM
If your oil pressure dropped it's likely to be a problem with the oil pump

SRlew
15-01-06, 05:34 PM
right gunna look into that then.

cheers, lew

Sloth
15-01-06, 08:33 PM
take the plugs out are they oily? then comp test it first dry, then with a bot of oil in there,
good luck,
sloth :+:

novalovingned
16-01-06, 10:56 AM
im havin the exact same problem wit mine no oil pressure and then the car dies as soon as i try to take off,some 1 told me it was the pump also,have u tried this yet.
oh yeah and thank u for havin this problem also as i have tried to get some answers on nl but no 1 seems to reply to me,it must be because im scottish or something
plz let me know how u get on :D

novalovingned

Rob-16v
16-01-06, 06:11 PM
be warned there not cheap.

SRlew
19-01-06, 09:49 AM
right then, the oil pressure seems o.k again now :?

and it starts now that iv baught some ignition parts.

Adam
19-01-06, 03:07 PM
How do you know the oil pressure went?
The oil light does come on if the engine cuts out,lol.

Aragorn
19-01-06, 07:19 PM
yup the engines stalled and oil pressures gone cos its not turning any more

you probably dipped the clutch when it died ;)