PDA

View Full Version : Helmet for track day use.

SPaTVXR
13-01-06, 06:13 PM
Once my Nova is up and running the plan is to take it to track days and want to get my own helmet. Having not done a track day yet does anybody know if there are any stipulations as to what regulations the helmet should be to or will just any helmet do? Have been looking on E-bay and some helmets say to to ACU gold standard? suitable for track days. Any advice appreciated.

Lee
13-01-06, 06:28 PM
Your helmet wont be scrutinised on a track day, so in theory you couuld get something from a party shop made out of injection moulded marsh mallow.

Of course, if you value your Swede, Id go for something that meets at least one safety standard of some kind LOL. An open face helmet is favoured for visibility, however I do a lot of Karting, so i bought a normal looking bike helmet and ripped the visor off.

I wouldnt reccommend a used helmet, not only because you dont know how its been treated, but mainly because of the inevitable congealed sweat that will be impregnated into the fabric :lol:

Philsutton
14-01-06, 04:48 PM
I got given two a while ago for track use, one is a bike helmet and the other looks like it would be suited to a 1950's open top racer lmao, all i need is my driving goggles and gloves. Track days arent actually competition so they arent going to be that hard on your car or anything. ONly thing they normally check for it noise level.

scott.parker
14-01-06, 07:19 PM
All i can say is make sure you get an open faced one...i did trax and in sweltering heat the last thing you want is the face inclosed.. :roll:

Scott

Stuart
14-01-06, 09:29 PM
i simply got an OMP open face one form rally design. about ?50.

ebay helmets didnt seem much cheaper for what i got plus as BT has mentioned atleast the only sweat in there is your own ;)