PDA

View Full Version : insurance group on 1.3 with t40s

leebo
13-01-06, 01:48 AM
Hey, a 1300sr is group 5. If i was to put t40s on it dose that not leave it the same as a gp 5 sport? Or will the insurance group just go up?
cheers lee

Will
13-01-06, 09:31 AM
should be in the insurance section.... but anyway

if its not a sport originally then it will be classed as an engine conversion which can cost ?xxx etc

but yes it will technically be group 5 like the sport

orange_andy
13-01-06, 11:27 AM
itl cost alot more, if you declare alloys and exhaust it goes up hundreds, never mind touching the tuning of the engine

Will
13-01-06, 02:24 PM
go with HIC

up to 1500 quid of body mods insured at no extra cost.... when i say insured i mean declared

you get nowt back if its nicked

lmfao

orange_andy
13-01-06, 03:05 PM
no point any ways coz of the ecess most people chose around 150. if you get a cd player nicked its not worth going through insurance, because the excess would be what it cost to fix + your next renewal will be more, and lose no claims discount

Nick
13-01-06, 06:30 PM
you'l get charged slightly more than a sport i'd imagine.

After all your not driving a standard sport. your driving a car that you've stuck T40's on because you want it to be quicker.

Different principal behind doing that.

leebo
13-01-06, 08:41 PM
Cheers, i gathered that it would just go up but i was hopeing that maybe someone had come up with some sorta loop hole :lol:

lets just hope i get a good quote for them because i really want to use them. but NI's insurance is a alot more expensive than main land UK

Cheers lee

Jack
13-01-06, 08:51 PM
you'l get charged slightly more than a sport i'd imagine.

After all your not driving a standard sport. your driving a car that you've stuck T40's on because you want it to be quicker.

Different principal behind doing that.
Exactly that, also the reasoning why engine conversions are more expensive (e.g. a 1.2 Merit with a 1.6 engine will be more than a GTE) - mainly because although the car and engine can take it, it wasn't done by the good workers at Vauxhall, so the quality of work cannot be guaranteed.

Wonder how much a sport would be conpared to a normal SR... hmm, might go take a look now lol

Jack
13-01-06, 09:03 PM
Wonder how much a sport would be conpared to a normal SR... hmm, might go take a look now lol

LMFAO

1985 1.3SR: ?334
1985 1.3 Sport: ?284

Will
14-01-06, 12:38 AM
remember jack a standard sport didnt have the 40s fitted as your drove off the forecourt.... they were in the boot

so are you insuring them on the car or in the boot??? :lol:

Nick
14-01-06, 01:10 AM
remember jack a standard sport didnt have the 40s fitted as your drove off the forecourt.... they were in the boot

you could just claim that you thought the engine was in the boot...

leebo
14-01-06, 01:16 AM

Didnt know that. Well when i say i have a 1300sr i have half a rebuilt 1300sr to go into my 1200. When its done and checked by an engeneer or whoever it needs to be checked by dose that leave it as astandered sr gp 5 or as Razorjack said

(e.g. a 1.2 Merit with a 1.6 engine will be more than a GTE)

higer than a standered sr from factory?

(hope that slabber made sence)

cheers lee

leebo
14-01-06, 01:22 AM
and its going into a mk2 btw

Ste L
14-01-06, 10:13 AM

i thought they came with the 40's on on the car, but came with the lairy cam in the boot?

womble sri
14-01-06, 11:59 AM
i got an online quotr from flux when im 19, no ncb, liscense for 18 months ,1.4, twin 40s, cam, pulley, astra brakes and exhaust
?1125 which isnt to bad as i pay 1100 fully comp in my mums name!

Will
14-01-06, 12:36 PM

i thought they came with the 40's on on the car, but came with the lairy cam in the boot?

nope, unsure why, maybe emissions but doubt it as it was the mid 80s..... someone with the originally sports manual will confirm this as it says abt it in there...... cam is already fitted but 40s not

Will
14-01-06, 12:37 PM

Didnt know that. Well when i say i have a 1300sr i have half a rebuilt 1300sr to go into my 1200. When its done and checked by an engeneer or whoever it needs to be checked by dose that leave it as astandered sr gp 5 or as Razorjack said

(e.g. a 1.2 Merit with a 1.6 engine will be more than a GTE)

higer than a standered sr from factory?

(hope that slabber made sence)

cheers lee

is the block a 1200 block or a 1300 block.... because to me thats the important part (the engine number) when it comes to insuring it

Ste L
14-01-06, 01:24 PM

nope, unsure why, maybe emissions but doubt it as it was the mid 80s..... someone with the originally sports manual will confirm this as it says abt it in there...... cam is already fitted but 40s not

i got it at home, not proper read it,

Adam
14-01-06, 02:54 PM
The Irmscher cam was an optional extra IIRC.

Will
14-01-06, 02:59 PM
yup

leebo
14-01-06, 05:16 PM
is the block a 1200 block or a 1300 block.... because to me thats the important part (the engine number) when it comes to insuring it

its a 1300 block. it was rebuilt and used as a track engine for a few races then striped back down for cleaning up. how could i tell if it was a 1300 block or not? I calculated it to be just over 1.3 as it had been bored with new pistones, lightned bottom end and lightned flywheel.

Will
14-01-06, 11:51 PM

its a 1300 block. it was rebuilt and used as a track engine for a few races then striped back down for cleaning up. how could i tell if it was a 1300 block or not? I calculated it to be just over 1.3 as it had been bored with new pistones, lightned bottom end and lightned flywheel.

check the block below the head there is a small section which sticks out which has the engine number

it will start: 13 for 1.3...... insure it as a sport engine

leebo
15-01-06, 12:32 AM
Cant find what your talkin about on the block. There was only two sets of numbers on it and one looks like a date and the other is 8 digits long and it starts with 90 :?

DirtyDave
15-01-06, 09:54 PM
the Sr 1.3 standard is a group 7 insurance in the UK as the GTE/GSi is group 11

Adam
15-01-06, 10:03 PM
Cant find what your talkin about on the block. There was only two sets of numbers on it and one looks like a date and the other is 8 digits long and it starts with 90 :?
The first set is the engine code(12ST, c14se etc) the second set is the engine number.

And AFAIK the 1.3SR is group 5 insurance.

Jack
15-01-06, 11:21 PM
Yup, the 1.4's (SR & SRi) are 7.

Will
15-01-06, 11:34 PM
The first set is the engine code(12ST, c14se etc) the second set is the engine number.

And AFAIK the 1.3SR is group 5 insurance.

1.3SR and 1.3GL (same engine) is group 5

1.4SR is group 7

1.4GL??? same engine as SR but group 6 ;)

Nick
16-01-06, 11:57 AM
And just out of interest...

A 1.2 carb shell with a 1.6 on T40's is Grp 14 !

Will
16-01-06, 01:29 PM

depends who your insured with

hard to give it a group as it doesnt exisit as a base model like a valver does.....

im guessing its based on power increase from the standard 100hp

leebo
16-01-06, 03:38 PM
Is there any way of gettin it chcked by vauxhall so you dont end up with i hyped insurance group?

Jack
16-01-06, 04:34 PM
Unlikely.

Although in a similar way, I've got a feeling some insurance companies require an independent engineers report before they'll even consider insuring a conversion...

Nick
16-01-06, 05:36 PM

depends who your insured with

hard to give it a group as it doesnt exisit as a base model like a valver does.....

im guessing its based on power increase from the standard 100hp

your exactly right, but it'l be a similar/rough estimate of what it is !

Some insurance companies require a Engineers report, but Adrian flux said one wouldn't be required due it being an original engine that came in the nova series. Also mine was fitted by a Motorsport engineering company so he said that's also a good enough back-up

I even explained that the GSi has plates on the top mounts, and a few panels in the bay are 0.5 or 1mm thicker . They said they appreciated my honesty but it makes no difference - They however agreed i should at some point seam weld and plate the front end in the same way for peace of mind and to stop the thing distorting.

the guy was very clued up on this, he did however mention that they'd probably require one if i was to use a non-standard fitment engine i.e a XE

But then again he did say they're a bit of a farse, as there are no requird asessors. The report is done on your own terms so it's hard to know whether they're 100% reliable - it's a way of shifting blame onto someone basically