PDA

View Full Version : weird noise from the back ! !

orange_andy
12-01-06, 06:29 PM
well its weird probably suspension or dampers ?? i can go over speed bumps slow it doesnt do it, but if im going say 40 down a road hit a few small bumps i hear from the back as if its suspension like a whoop oooosh
whooop oooosh

any ways of checking what it is or recomendations

Adam
12-01-06, 06:32 PM
Probably just the damper moving.

novatek
12-01-06, 06:47 PM
exhaust knocking?

fuel pump loose??

arch scrubbage??

Philsutton
12-01-06, 06:51 PM
could be arch scrubage, fucked damper, or a pikie set on causing trouble

orange_andy
12-01-06, 07:01 PM
nah isnt exhaust like i say it isnt a BANG BANG KNOCK KOCK ITS LIKE SAY TURBO NOISE obviously ont like that but similar in the way its whoop oosh, as if its the back end liftin then smashin back down

novatek
12-01-06, 07:03 PM
gud point phil, they r always at it

orange_andy
12-01-06, 07:10 PM
i only just put some 15's on straight of a nova that was lowered 60mm so i shud have no problems mine aint lowered and same size tires

Philsutton
12-01-06, 07:15 PM
off the top of my head i would say they are rubbing when you go over a big bump, hence why it doesnt do it when you go slow over a bump as the wheel wont go as far up into the arch.

Stuart
12-01-06, 07:15 PM
no two lowered/non lowerd novas are the same. id guess its scrubbage

orange_andy
13-01-06, 09:57 AM
iv took everything out the boot so it isnt the wheel or tools banging, i started shaking the back end up and downit stopped straight away didnt carry on bouncing or anything, , i tried shaking it as hard as i could but it didnt make any noises the same :S it doesnt feel like they can be going up in the arch, as i suck my hand up and theres alot of room i couldnt even reach the top, i mean they are only 195,50,15s' not like they are 16s or 17s

sickrabbit
13-01-06, 11:08 AM
After changing mine to same size tyres, I had no end of probs with scrubbage .The tyres also came off another Nova , and I was assured thered be no probs. If this is the issue here theres an easy way to find out if its scrubbage - I,ll bet it is. Get someone in the back and take a slow drive around with them shifting from each side on the rear seat. You,ll notice the noise will occur more often on cornering at speed. Check the tyres for marks on the side wall . For me the only way to cure this problem was to change the tyres ( I even ground the arches back - still happened ) to 195 45 15 .The bloke who popped to my works and done it for me remarked this is one common hiccup with Novas - some have no problems and get away with it - but most dont.

orange_andy
13-01-06, 11:25 AM
ok ill try that, if this is the problem how do you fix it, how much is it to roll the arches or what ever that is, if i cant even get 195 50 15 on a normall un lowered nova im gonna be more than pissed of

sickrabbit
13-01-06, 11:57 AM
IF this is the problem , then getting the arches rolled could prove expensive . The arches on most Novas I should imagine are rusted - these cars are getting on a bit , so rolling them may result in them splitting. A body shop will give you a quote - I,d imagine ?40-50 a side - BUT I could be wrong. i think in realistic terms I,d check out a few local tyre suppliers first , if you cant afford to do the whole car in one go , perhaps just getting the rears done first will at least solve the noise problem. Why not pop along to one , go and have a chat and get em to have a look?
Good luck.

orange_andy
13-01-06, 12:40 PM
i got 4 new tires just got them :( they sell half used, maybe if i say look can you buy get me some new ones on the back, then say instead of buying them for 60 ill give you mine back which are not really worn and 20? see what they say, other wise im gonna be broke, thing is, if its them catchn on the rear, which part of the tire is doing it, the 195fattness of them the 50 profile still to high up the arch,

iif thats catchn on a 195 50 15 then what would i do do i need to go get 190 50, or 195 45 ? or is it the make or tire ect

orange_andy
13-01-06, 12:40 PM
i got 4 new tires just got them :( they sell half used, maybe if i say look can you buy get me some new ones on the back, then say instead of buying them for 60 ill give you mine back which are not really worn and 20? see what they say, other wise im gonna be broke, thing is, if its them catchn on the rear, which part of the tire is doing it, the 195fattness of them the 50 profile still to high up the arch,

iif thats catchn on a 195 50 15 then what would i do do i need to go get 190 50, or 195 45 ? or is it the make or tire ect

loggyboy
13-01-06, 01:51 PM
if thats catchn on a 195 50 15 then what would i do do i need to go get 190 50, or 195 45 ? or is it the make or tire ect

190s dont exist (commonly)
185 50s mite do it.

But 195 45s are best option - more width and lower profile mean more grip and less wall movement. (U may notice a very slightly harsher ride but thats tough - if u want comfort get 14s ;) )

orange_andy
14-01-06, 04:42 PM
went back to tire place, they said there is no signs up rubbing on the tires, proper pissin me off now, the springs look fine otherwise id have problems drivin about normally