PDA

View Full Version : re: help 16sv

SuperNova!
12-01-06, 05:01 PM
just posted this but didnt apear here goes again!

Hi guys just collected me engine from the scrap yard after it was removed from an mk2 astra.

the scrappy guy told me that the engine was a 1.4 but when i got it back in the garage I discovered:

it has 16sv on the head and 16sv on the block?

It also has a pierburg 2e carb on it.

so he has sold me knowingly or not, a 1.6 engine, i have found on the net that the 16sv engine has 82bhp and 96lb/torque. which is more than the 1.4 sr engine,

But have I come out of this better or worse as insurance isnt an issue i just want to know if anyone has one of these engines in their nova and what are they like and also do they come standard with close ration boxes?

thanks for any input

Adam
12-01-06, 05:27 PM
They are ok, but not that good.
A nova gte/gsi engine is a better option, as it will cost the same on tax etc.

IIRC the 16sv is basically the same as a 1.4SR engine, but 1600cc. Same carb, same shape ports etc.

SuperNova!
12-01-06, 08:37 PM
Cheers mate

I was told that my 1.2i driveshafts will fit the 14sr engine so will they also fit the 1600 block?

Do you know how much torque a 14sr and gte has? As this 16sv engine has 95ftlbs which I think is quite high??

I plan on fitting a k&n with cold air feed, 4 branch manifold, and have the timing advanced slightly run it on 98ron petrol and have the carb set up on a rolling road do you think it will reach as much as a gte standard?

Thanks bud you have been a real help already

dave

Riggy
12-01-06, 10:20 PM
drive shafts should fit

but as adam said it would be better to get a gte/gsi engine as there 100 bhp std

but that means converting to injection aswell

Adam
13-01-06, 12:26 AM
I plan on fitting a k&n with cold air feed, 4 branch manifold, and have the timing advanced slightly run it on 98ron petrol and have the carb set up on a rolling road do you think it will reach as much as a gte standard?

It wont reach GTE bhp with those mods alone.

You could always get a set of T40s, a 1.4SR T40 inlet, and a nice cam.
That should see a nice gain.

Or you could maybe fit a nova GTE/GSI head and run T40s. Im not sure how CR etc would be effected by doing that tho.

SuperNova!
13-01-06, 10:55 AM
Cheers mate Ill get thinking then!

But the 16sv is more powerful than a 14sr? Are they as reliable?

cheers dave

Adam
13-01-06, 06:39 PM
Cheers mate Ill get thinking then!

But the 16sv is more powerful than a 14sr? Are they as reliable?

cheers dave
Its more powerful because its a 1.6 not a 1.4.
As for reliability, it depends on how well the carb is tuned.
Some carb engines i have tried to start on winter mornings take a good 5mins of revving the engine before you can pull away,lol.
But others have run fine straight away.

slammed saloon
13-01-06, 09:19 PM
ive gt one of the ones that takes 5 mins of revvin lol