PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket (remote) central locking

Iain
11-01-06, 03:47 PM
Thought adding remote central locking to my Merit might be a nice feature. Has anybody done this and can reommend a good aftermarket kit? I'm after a 2-door kit unless anybody has had any success with wiring a 4-door kit up to the boot and removing the leftover motor?

Rob-16v
11-01-06, 03:53 PM
i would say get one out of an sr, other than that, back of demon tweeks cataloge, microscan do them, bout 50 quid.

F188CHG
11-01-06, 03:55 PM
Aftermaket kits are the way to go! as u can use them with an alarm at a later date if you wish as i have done with my Toad alarm i got a kit through ebay for ?25 if was a 4dr kit so i have 2 spair solinoids if they ever brake i have spairs just snip the extra wires :wink:

Jack
11-01-06, 05:38 PM
Microscan do one for about ?50, you can get it from www.dcp-shop.co.uk

If you want it to be remote activated you'll need to get a basic alarm too.

Iain
11-01-06, 05:56 PM
Is the alarm really essential? Has anybody used any kits off eBay which seem to offer remote central locking without an alarm?

eBay advert (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Keyless-Entry-4-Door-Central-Locking-Kit-2-Remote_W0QQitemZ8028109380QQcategoryZ15329QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem)

WHAT DOES IT DO?
The 4 Door Central Locking System lock/unlock all door with remote or locking/unlocking either one of the front doors. This item allows you to lock your car conveniently.

F188CHG
11-01-06, 06:09 PM
Yes that is the kit i used m8it comes with remotes but if you fit an alarm you dont need the remotes u use the alarm 1ns :wink:

If you only want remote locking thay will work fine :wink:

Iain
11-01-06, 06:23 PM
Nice one I'll see about getting a set and drilling yet more bodywork for the wires :(

probert_nova
11-01-06, 06:35 PM
thats similar to the kit i got for ?8 from hong kong, the instructions are pretty useless but i found loads of ways of getting it to work. hasn't let me down so far.

SRimon
11-01-06, 07:11 PM
CAT1 Fitted with central locking and boot pop and dead locks cost me 320 quid

Spudly
11-01-06, 07:56 PM
Well as already said microscan do the kits an they also do the remote interfaces for bout 40ish squid i had both kits on mr luxe an never went wrong once, and for a boot release i used the standard solenoid from an XR2i or a fezzy ghia as these all have em standard, i jus took off me wiper motor an used the feed from that to release the boot hehe, it even used to lift on its own due to havin nigh on no weight in the boot lid!!!!

Iain
11-01-06, 08:45 PM
and for a boot release i used the standard solenoid from an XR2i or a fezzy ghia as these all have em standard, i jus took off me wiper motor an used the feed from that to release the boot hehe, it even used to lift on its own due to havin nigh on no weight in the boot lid!!!!

So if you accidentally tapped the wiper stalk while driving it would fly open? :P

F188CHG
11-01-06, 09:39 PM
and for a boot release i used the standard solenoid from an XR2i or a fezzy ghia as these all have em standard, i jus took off me wiper motor an used the feed from that to release the boot hehe, it even used to lift on its own due to havin nigh on no weight in the boot lid!!!!

So if you accidentally tapped the wiper stalk while driving it would fly open? :P

yip same here but very usefull at hi speed :lol:

Spudly
11-01-06, 10:15 PM

yip same here but very usefull at hi speed :lol:

Never thought about that wen i first did it but yes that happened loads of times specially wen i washed the screen at traffic lights n stuff if i let the stalk bounce bk it popped it grr lol!!!!

loggyboy
12-01-06, 03:54 PM
Paid ?25 for a remote central kit which also offered light and boot release interface.

However if you are worried about security (dunno how many mods u have) then u should get a approved one (thatcham etc), as cheap ones are likely to be easily 'code grabbed' or hacked.