PDA

View Full Version : Engine problem ?

DI4BLO
11-01-06, 12:25 PM
Ok before you all sigh and say get it tuned etc, let me explain.

Had a few problems with me GSi, first was really bad idle and stuttering, also the old driving along and loss of power followed by cutting out. This was not just on motorways as others have experianced but just driving about, seemed to be in rain more often.

So replaced plugs leads dizzy and that worked wonders on the starting and it reduced the amount of times it cut out. Then at the weekend got it krypton tuned. during the tuning it cut out once matey did all the neccessary and now the idle is purrfect she runs like a dream but it still cuts out, very rare now but still bloody annoying as i have to pull over leave it and after about 30 secs it will start on the third ish turn ?

I have replaced the dodgy k&n filter with original airbox before i got it tuned, i have a cold feed to this which i am not sure is helping. Matey who tuned it sayed it is a fuel problem and sayed start with the relay, and some cleaner, but i put redex in at least once a month and have put in an injector cleaner.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Martin

orange_andy
11-01-06, 01:15 PM
i had this problem with my 1.4 sr (carbed) going down motorway had to pull over about 5 times as, it slowly lose power to the point i new pull over or DIE!!! as soon as i turned the car off it was fine, then on the way home (120m trip) it didnt pull over once but i do feel like it wanted to i jus played with accel carefully) any ways i got a standard filter drove 30mile on motorway no problems, as you have the same problem with petrol injection that throws carb problem out the window. i tried some redex carb cleaner dont think it did out,

i got told by a tuner (n the phone) to take my petti cap off while doin this long journy, see if that helps, as it mite be a problem with not enough air going in with the petti and at high speeds it needs alot more than normall driving, havnt done the journy yet so cant try it,

keep us posted with news on yours mate,

Will
11-01-06, 01:21 PM
never heard of running without petrol cap......

but on gsi models the cap has a flap u push open so air couldnt get in if it tried :lol:

orange_andy
11-01-06, 01:36 PM
i got told to try it, he said if that works, then they know its deffo to do with the petrol and some bend or something in the pipes, if not then saved labour charges of geting someone to see if it was that. im gonna try that cant see it working, if not ill go to a tuner

DI4BLO
11-01-06, 02:02 PM
Well just been to vaux after matey saying the relay might be on the way out. ?22 might wait till im sure need to find a way of testing it first? or a trip to the scrappy.

was going to restrict the air into the filter to see if the lack of cold air helps and check all pipes as i have also been told any moisture in the petrol will cause it to cut out.....

orange_andy
11-01-06, 02:05 PM
iv got a standard filter on now which goes from the exhaust manifold, waiting for my long journy to see if that helps if it doesnt,, then pull over take my fuel cap off,

i got a mesh grille, put a board behind most of it only with 3inches spaire each side, to keep the hot air in, helped a bit more less cutting out when i had the K N N on, since i put the standard filter on, its never cut out yet for been cold ! ! just got to try it down the motorway

DI4BLO
11-01-06, 03:43 PM
Let us know how you get on, lots of peeps saying it might be my relay now....will see, but ?22 it better be

Rob-16v
11-01-06, 03:50 PM
The idea of taking the fuel cap off it to see if the breather is blocked, if it is it will cause a vacum and stop the flow. cutting out could be coil? it could be breaking down as it gets hotter. has you got all wires on? on my xr2 the was a wire on the carb and wen it disconected it cut out.

orange_andy
11-01-06, 03:59 PM
cant see any lose wires, i mean i drive around town and by pass its fine, it was jus when going down motorway it cut out about 6times on a 120m trip

Riggy
11-01-06, 06:03 PM
could also be a dodgey afm