PDA

View Full Version : Track rod end

biker
09-01-06, 05:44 PM
I changed my wheel bearing at the weekend and while getting the assembly off the track rod end has disintegrated!!

I have a new one to fit but cant get the old one off the steering rack!!

Does anyone have any tips for getting these things off as it seems welded on :x

I have taken a haksaw between the t.r.e. and the securing nut to try and clear some of the crap (not went too far in as dont want to damage the threads) and I have soaked it in WD40 but it still wont budge.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Cheers
Col

Philsutton
09-01-06, 05:47 PM
get a blow torch an put some serious heat into it, some times that loosens them up.

On another note you sure it isnt welded on, someone i know welded his on lmao, not sure why though.

biker
09-01-06, 05:51 PM
I dont think/hope so.
I dont see any weld around it, just refuses to budge.

I will try some heat.

I take it I heat the track rod end near the point it attaches to the rack, or do I just buy a new rack!!
Col

Philsutton
09-01-06, 05:53 PM
if it doesnt move after that i would suggest getting another rack

BLUE NOVA BOY
09-01-06, 06:01 PM
like he sais heats your best option if you wana get it off, heat it where it screws onto the rack, get some mole grips onto the trackrod end and a pair on the rack arm and just try and work it back and forth until it slackens ( make sure you dont melt any off the rubber boots) :)

Mark Beeson
11-01-06, 12:01 AM
mole grips heat and a hammer. 2 man job. once of make sure you clean the treads. ie wire wool/brush

loggyboy
11-01-06, 12:23 PM
I found that mole grips tended to slip of the rack arm when i had trouble removing mine. i found an ajustable spanner gave better purchase on it and ment i could get sum serious force on to the spanner/trach arm to loosen it off.

Riggy
11-01-06, 06:08 PM
random fact !

haynes gives removing a track rod end a 4 spanner difficulty rating :lol:

Philsutton
11-01-06, 07:51 PM
^^ that means a 2 day job then lmao

biker
15-01-06, 12:47 AM
I still cant get this thing off! It's really doing my head in :|

So I decided its time to get a new rack.

Anyone know where to get a new one cheap by mail order?

Cheers
Colin

Mark Beeson
16-01-06, 03:54 PM
PMF 01782 418610

Rob or Dan