PDA

View Full Version : for all the SR carb drivers out there

orange_andy
09-01-06, 02:29 PM
right got a 1.4 sr, takes me the usual 5minutes warm up before i can set off on a morning, anways, am going on holiday on march 26 for a week, and would be leaving me car stand still for that time, what should i be expecting, i dont really want to ask me gfs dad to sit in me car for 10mins trying to rev it to keep it going, but am i better tellin him to just do it for a few mins every few days to keep the battery good, what exactly should i expect,

is it a case of, dont use the car for 5 days and its 5times harder to start than a normall morning, i know its hard to start on a morning because its cold. not sure if thats the only reason its hard to start, if its just the cold that makes it hard to start a carb then would not using the car for 7days will just mean the engines as cold as it would be on the first morning, so no diff starting than any other morning ?

fill me in with some advice, cheers

Will
09-01-06, 02:39 PM
5 days is nothing.....

forgetting the engine (which will be fine for that time)

the only thing i would recommened is leaving the handbrake OFF and the car IN GEAR....

cause the drums tend to sieze if left for 5 days + allthought its not really thats much of an issue even if it does happen.

SRlew
09-01-06, 02:39 PM
yer mines hard to start in the morning, keeps stalling and sounds like a scooby :?

my brother had his xr2 (carb) sat for a couple weeks and it started fine but needed a new battery cause it went flat when we pushed it home one night.

Nath
09-01-06, 02:43 PM
leaving it for a week is fine, i left mine for 2 not so long ago and it started fine, will be doing it again end of the month when i go away

Stuart
09-01-06, 02:56 PM
i left my black 1.2 for about 2 months and it fired up first time with jump leads lol

orange_andy
09-01-06, 03:47 PM
to get this right, what is it that makes it so shitty to start the carb in the morning, is it a case that its just the e ngine is cold and needs warming, hence a choke and revving the car for 5mins,

if this is so then technically it wouldnt matter if you left the car for 1 day- 12 days as the engine would be just as cold, just the batter wouldnt be good, thanks for speedy replies lads,

yea i just went away in the freezing snow for 4 days came back heard a POP, found it it was the seized handbrake, hardly went up the road i craped me pants..

Stuart
09-01-06, 04:14 PM
sounds like you need to get the carb setup by krypton tune etc...

Adam
09-01-06, 09:17 PM
My old car was left in standing for nearly 2yrs, and started up first time with some jump leads :D

hendrix
09-01-06, 11:29 PM
My old car was left in standing for nearly 2yrs, and started up first time with some jump leads :D
same with my first sri, didnt need jump leads tho :lol: another sri i baught had been stood in a field for nearly 4 years :o started with a bit of effort!

boredbloke
10-01-06, 12:07 AM
sounds like you need to get the carb setup by krypton tune etc...

always a good thing to have a krypton tune only costs about 50 quid and will sort quite a few problem in my experience!

Lee
10-01-06, 08:27 AM
+ youll do more harm than good getting someone to start it every day for 5 minutes.

SRlew
10-01-06, 09:45 AM
right when i start mine in the morning or after work, (when its cold) it sounds like a scooby for a bit.

why is this?

cheers, lew

hendrix
10-01-06, 09:55 AM
could be some form of damp in the electrical system mate preventing one of ur plugs sparking correctly

orange_andy
10-01-06, 10:07 AM
its just to do with the choke and carb, mines sounds normall, but if you stand at the back of the car thedeepness of the exhaust on tickover is so loud, compared to afterits been warmed up and used,

i think i been using my choke wrong, i had a manual put on (crap thing) i used to jus sit there 5mins warm up wait till the revs are not gonna stall, then drive to work with choke on a bit,

this morning and last nite i sat for 5mins playing about with the choke till i drove all the way with choke out first time i done that i normally drive with the choke on, although thats probs because when i first got it it kept stallin,

orange_andy
10-01-06, 10:13 AM
actually anyone know any kryton tuners in the north east middlesbrough area, i rang about 5garage from yellow pages none did it,

think i need it as my car doesnt pick up properly, foot down in second it moves, then the power dips then carries on again, ya can just tell something isnt right, + me old problem of having to pull over on the motorway on journies due to loss of power, got told to try driving with my petti cap off, and get a standard filter which i have, but aint had to do a long journy yet, only 28m journy which was fine,

PS, to the lad who has the same proble,.... any more news on that problem mate ?

Stuart
10-01-06, 11:53 AM
dosent ahve to be a krypton tune explicitly... jsut a good gararge with diagnostics gear can do it for you.

Snowface
10-01-06, 04:43 PM
check oil and coolant before starting after a couple weeks or more.

SGA33
10-01-06, 07:46 PM
There is a garage i think its in melsonby which is near you andy that will probaly sort it out.The garage is called BP garage services i think.Also there is the rolling road at northallerton.
Have you now got black alloys on your car now? if so saw you saturday.

orange_andy
10-01-06, 08:07 PM
yea black 15's ? where did you see me, dont think i was out much with them :S

SGA33
10-01-06, 08:11 PM
You went passed me as i was walking behind the ford garage in darlo around 4ish.
Looked good. :)

orange_andy
10-01-06, 08:15 PM
haha, was you with a lass ? you were the first person to see them, id just got them put on by a garage behind ford so i must have been going home, i had me alloys in the back so ida been doin about 10mph lol. where abouts dya live like

SGA33
10-01-06, 08:22 PM
Was waiting for the other half and daughter to come out of the theatre after watching Beauty and the beast.I on the other hand went to halfrauds to laugh at the silly spoilers and neons.

orange_andy
11-01-06, 09:03 AM
haha good lad, all the spoilers soon to be seen on a VTR near you ! !