PDA

View Full Version : Nova wont start plz help me.

Rob-16v
08-01-06, 09:12 PM
right, iv rebuilt a new head, put it back on and it will not start, iv got spark, fuel and the timming is spot on, its trying to fire and wont crank up, is the beacause the buckets are not pumped up yet?

slammed saloon
08-01-06, 09:17 PM
hydraulic tappets are prob stickin till oil gets in em it will nt spin over for ages just keep tryin

Rob-16v
08-01-06, 09:20 PM
iv tryed it like 10 times, and i got no easy start!, thanks slammed saloon.

Jon_nova1
08-01-06, 09:31 PM
I take it water leaked when you did the head??, might just be water, it'll probably pop and all the rest of it, just keep trying, when it starts keep it at fast idle for awhile, till the engine heats up

Also check the distributor side timing, if you've taken the dizzy of you'll have to time it, theres a notch on the cam cover and a notch on the dizzy to match it up, also, if you have the slot type cam end that goes onto the dizzy, make sure its the right way around ;)

Rob-16v
08-01-06, 11:29 PM
I take it water leaked when you did the head??, might just be water, it'll probably pop and all the rest of it, just keep trying, when it starts keep it at fast idle for awhile, till the engine heats up

Also check the distributor side timing, if you've taken the dizzy of you'll have to time it, theres a notch on the cam cover and a notch on the dizzy to match it up, also, if you have the slot type cam end that goes onto the dizzy, make sure its the right way around ;)

Right iv give up, think iv burnt out the starter now coz it aint crankin at all. ill have a look 2 mozz now as its pitch black.its in a dis pack. thanks for the advice guys.
Rob>

Aragorn
09-01-06, 01:05 AM
u might find the lifters are overjacked and holding the valves open, compression test might be a wise move

Rob-16v
09-01-06, 10:07 PM
u might find the lifters are overjacked and holding the valves open, compression test might be a wise move

So shoud i squash then in a vice?

jamie gsi16v
09-01-06, 10:39 PM
my 1600 16v did this once, it was the hydraulic tappets proper stuck, i put some more oil in, connected my dads car on mine via jump leads and turned it over constantly for a good ten mins the suddenly it popped n fired up, stalled n the started first time but had to be held on high revs to get warm, bin fine from then on.

Rob-16v
09-01-06, 10:57 PM
my 1600 16v did this once, it was the hydraulic tappets proper stuck, i put some more oil in, connected my dads car on mine via jump leads and turned it over constantly for a good ten mins the suddenly it popped n fired up, stalled n the started first time but had to be held on high revs to get warm, bin fine from then on.

right im gunna re-cheak everything over tomorrow. stick some power to her and see what happens. thanks again guys.