PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 8v tuning ideas?

Riggy
08-01-06, 08:47 PM
just a quick one

what would you recommend

keeping with std injection so no carbs or tb's lol as its just a run around

but as for cams etc

which would be better :lol:

Stuart
08-01-06, 08:49 PM
ebay chips ;) lol

id personally stick to the NVO series of cams from Kent (or the similar series from piper) as they are designed for injection use.

Or try a catcam profile. but to be fair if your not fussed about performance etc as its a daily drive then its going to be very mild stuff that you fit and probably not really worth it in the long run mate. keep a beady on egay..

Adam
09-01-06, 01:21 PM
Tbh, i dont think you would see that much of an increase by fitting a performance cam if staying with standard injection and management.
I'd just leave it standard, maybe an aftermarket exhaust, but thats all i would do.

Dan
09-01-06, 05:31 PM
:roll: :roll:

Before my engine was reborn many moons ago i ran the nvo62 cam coupled with my head and the usual filter/zorst etc and to be fair it went well for what it was, a marked improvement over standard.

Riggy
09-01-06, 06:44 PM
egay it is then lol

its already got 4 branch , full stainless and filter so may look into dans old type of setup :lol:

cheers lads

Adam
09-01-06, 09:26 PM

Before my engine was reborn many moons ago i ran the nvo62 cam coupled with my head and the usual filter/zorst etc and to be fair it went well for what it was, a marked improvement over standard.
Was that using std injection or on 40s?
Any ideas on what power increase the cam added?

S_Gault
10-01-06, 10:46 AM
on the group a ones we have to keep the std plenum and AF meter, but we rip guts out of it and use a standalone ecu.. eg emerald/mbe/motec and then you can run a good cam.

Stuart
10-01-06, 11:15 AM
keep the std af meter and gut it to bend the rules? otherwise why bother with it.....

S_Gault
10-01-06, 12:46 PM
its not bending.. its the norm.

same rule as the hot hatch series.. engine must be externally identical to std.

Adam
10-01-06, 01:08 PM
on the group a ones we have to keep the std plenum and AF meter, but we rip guts out of it and use a standalone ecu.. eg emerald/mbe/motec and then you can run a good cam.
Ye, thats why i said i dont think the improvement would be much using the standard ecu, but with mappable management, its a lot better ,lol. :)

Tazzy
10-01-06, 04:05 PM
im planning on dropping a 1.6 8v mpi into my crosa 1.4, ive been told by my mechanic that i can put in 2.0 injectors, fuel pump, throttle body and ecu, along with fse boost valve and k&n induction cone, this true? how many horses would i get form this?

cheerz!

Dan
10-01-06, 07:16 PM

Was that using std injection or on 40s?
Any ideas on what power increase the cam added?

That was on the engine when it was still injection (i've had the engine 9/10yrs in total lol). As regards what power the cam added the engine was done in one hit back then rather than bits and pieces. There maybe better ones or options on the market now but for me that was good back then

Stuart
11-01-06, 08:03 AM
im planning on dropping a 1.6 8v mpi into my crosa 1.4, ive been told by my mechanic that i can put in 2.0 injectors, fuel pump, throttle body and ecu, along with fse boost valve and k&n induction cone, this true? how many horses would i get form this?

cheerz!

it will give you lovely bore wash and crap mpg with little or no increase in power.... so yeah go for it if you want to screw your engine :D

Adam
11-01-06, 01:46 PM

cheerz!
The standard 1.6 injectors and throttle body can fuel for upto 150bhp IIRC.
And it will only use the fuel it needs, excess fuel from the pump will just get sent back to the tank.

And bigger injectors, as Stu said, will rid the bores of oil, which you dont really want,lol.

Dan-I was thinking of a 1600 engine, running standard everything apart from the cam, but i was told that the standard AFM doesn't cope too well with cams above about 290ish duration. Something about the air pulsing instead of flowing. I dont know what the Kent nvo62 spec is tho, as it doesn't seem to give much detail on the Kent website.
I think thats what i was told anyway,lol.

craig green
11-01-06, 01:52 PM
Best mod on my 8v is the big valve/flowed head. I had a Piper 270 IIRC, made a reasonable difference & definately made the exhaust note really deep.

2.0 injectors didnt work for me, it wouldnt even fire (too high impedence)

I'd do an AFM mod, there are 2 you can do. PM me.

Dan
11-01-06, 06:36 PM
the nvo62 was a 270 also and met the requirement perfect. Alot of people bitch its not worth it with cams below 285 etc but its dependant on application and if you want something abit nippier or an all out race engine lol.

Tazzy
12-01-06, 07:04 AM
the gte lump (e16se?) has 101bhp? what can be done to it to get it to about 120 to 130 bhp?

Ste L
12-01-06, 11:01 AM
the gte lump (e16se?) has 101bhp? what can be done to it to get it to about 120 to 130 bhp?

101 when new.... probably isn't that anymore...

could do cam, head work, 4-1 manifold, full exhaust system, twin 40's