PDA

View Full Version : My car is wonky!!!

Iain
07-01-06, 01:46 PM
Fitted a Spax VSX -40mm suspension kit a few weeks ago and have given it time to settle. Now I've noticed that it sits wonky, the right hand side is lower! From inspection the spring looks shorter, as it's hidden further "up" inside the arch. Do you think they gave me one -40mm and one -60mm spring? :evil: Or is there something I perhaps did wrong when fitting the kit so it would do this?

Left:
http://www.iainel.co.uk/images/forums/left.JPG

Right:
http://www.iainel.co.uk/images/forums/right.JPG

Adam
07-01-06, 02:01 PM
Perhaps the spring isn't seated correctly.
Was the kit new?

Iain
07-01-06, 02:06 PM
The kit was brand new and I fitted it all myself (moved across topmount etc). Recon I should remove the high side one and check it's in the right place?

Nick
07-01-06, 02:18 PM
erm it's hard to guess which one is at fault.

-40mm on a Nova does still look quite high.

Are you sure the springs and struts were the same ? did you assemble the top-mounts correctly ?

Iain
07-01-06, 02:25 PM
I did not check the part code on the springs/struts to ensure they were exactly the same but they did not look different. I assembled the topmounts the same as how they came off, so I thought they were correct.

As the pictures show I can get 3 fingers under the left arch and only 2 (just) under the right so the difference in height seems to be just over 1cm. Looks like the things are coming off again :evil:

Hughsie II
07-01-06, 02:50 PM
Best thing to do is take both sides off and compare them.

nathan.
07-01-06, 03:01 PM
Also check the rear springs.
If say, the passenger side rear sits low, the drivers side front will sit high.

m.d.
07-01-06, 03:56 PM
look at the writing on the springs mate, ive had the problem on cars before where if you put the spring in wrong way round it would sit lower,

make sure the print on the springs are up the right way, (readable)

Iain
07-01-06, 04:09 PM
Also check the rear springs.
If say, the passenger side rear sits low, the drivers side front will sit high.

The rears seem to be okay. I think the problem is at the front...

make sure the print on the springs are up the right way, (readable)

Are you 100% sure on that? I put both front springs in with the writing upside down as that was how they appeared to be when I removed the old ones. They seemed to sit okay with the strut and topmount rubber thing.

Looks like I'm removing my suspension tomorrow. lol

Big_Chap
07-01-06, 06:22 PM
this might sound daft but if there is the slightest slope on the groung the car will lean abit

Snowface
07-01-06, 06:36 PM
check you havn't got a dead body in the boot.

Iain
07-01-06, 07:38 PM
this might sound daft but if there is the slightest slope on the groung the car will lean abit

Haha that's not daft at all :oops: I just ran it down to the carpark and tried it with my trusty two-finger method and it sits a little more level. I'm still not convinced they're both perfectly even though, one still seems slightly higher no matter which way I parked it.

newboytothenova2
08-01-06, 02:27 AM
had this problem on my nova just good old vaux build quality not much you can do really i tryed every thing

orange_andy
08-01-06, 10:57 AM
doesnt look very low for 40mm or 60mm, i just had 15s with 195'50's put on me car at the weekend, and its well lower the front sits about as low as your first pic, miles better looking than having me bastad 14's on

although woke up this morning to drive to work in a 2minute 100mph job, FLAT TIRE, going straight back to the garage who did them all, twats

Ste_Nova
08-01-06, 11:25 AM
easy answer.... different makes of tyres

Lee
08-01-06, 03:15 PM
easy answer.... different makes of tyres

Well spotted, i just noticed that lol. One looks part worn and the other looks pretty new!

Also, one side will settle quicker than the other due to you sitting on one side, and things like roundabouts squashing one side more than the other.

Iain
08-01-06, 06:14 PM
They're the same tyres, the alloys came with 4 Toyos with hardly any wear and have only been on for a few weeks. I think it's just how they look in the pic.

Had both front struts off today and adjusted the left one slightly (swivelled the spring around a bit) so we'll see if that makes much of a difference when they're settled again. If not I'll go with newboytothenova2's view and blame Vauxhall :P

Cheers for the help everybody. Should be sorted now :D

Mark Beeson
12-01-06, 04:09 PM
Non genuine wing? :P

Lee H
12-01-06, 04:52 PM
Non genuine wing? :P

Good call!!

scott.parker
13-01-06, 12:13 PM
Fitted a Spax VSX -40mm suspension kit a few weeks ago and have given it time to settle. Now I've noticed that it sits wonky, the right hand side is lower! From inspection the spring looks shorter, as it's hidden further "up" inside the arch. Do you think they gave me one -40mm and one -60mm spring? :evil: Or is there something I perhaps did wrong when fitting the kit so it would do this?

Left:
http://www.iainel.co.uk/images/forums/left.JPG

Right:
http://www.iainel.co.uk/images/forums/right.JPG

On thw two pics what side of each one is the front of the wing? as if they are as you say i think your left tyre is on the wrong way..

But as overs say,things like affter market wings/un-even ground/settling of spring,it all has to take a while,leve them longer then try again on level ground.

Scott

Iain
13-01-06, 05:16 PM
On thw two pics what side of each one is the front of the wing? as if they are as you say i think your left tyre is on the wrong way..

But as overs say,things like affter market wings/un-even ground/settling of spring,it all has to take a while,leve them longer then try again on level ground.

It's just the picture, the tyres are on the right way round (Just checked after reading your post lol). :D Yeah there is a lot of factors I didn't think of, nice one everybody for the input.

Rob77
13-01-06, 11:11 PM
I always thought that most Nova's sat slightly lower on drivers side front wheel (especially XE'd Nova's) due to the engine being heavier than the gearbox, causing a 'lean'.

Hmmmmm..... tricky one.

Mark Beeson
14-01-06, 12:53 AM
Have you got a big lass in the back? :P