PDA

View Full Version : Driving Tests

Kinky Monza
07-01-06, 12:32 AM
Has anybodt taken a test in an automatic ???
i'm asking for my ma, she's to take her test on monday, but doesn't know how to do an emergency stop in an auto
i thought you'd still have to put it in neutral, is this right ???

thanks peeps :wink:

Ste L
07-01-06, 01:14 AM
she should of been shown in here lessons i would of though :?

Will
07-01-06, 02:01 AM
auto 'D' or drive just leaves it in gear on the bite so to speak..... so if you break in gear you dont stall, you remain on the bite....

threfore an emergancy stop you just slam it on the brake thats alll?

p.s. auto test is gay, take a manual test so u can drive both then drive auto if you wish

novalovingned
07-01-06, 02:39 AM
dont lie tracie ur askin for urself :lol:

Kinky Monza
07-01-06, 09:36 AM

ned, please don't fill a serious post with your crap !!!

My ma cannot drive manual cars, she has Arthritis (sp) it affects her left foot and therefore unable to dip a clutch,
She only had a few lessons with an instructor, her friend taught her to drive but, she's not sure on the emergency stop

Will, if you slam the brakes on in an auto it stalls !! is that whats meant to happen with an emergency stop ???

dunova
07-01-06, 10:26 AM
No! It shouldn't stall and as said previously, it should stay on the bite. That's why if you're stopped at lights you have to hold your foot on the brake pedal or it'll edge forward.

No EM light on i take it? What car is it?

Kinky Monza
07-01-06, 10:37 AM
No! It shouldn't stall and as said previously, it should stay on the bite. That's why if you're stopped at lights you have to hold your foot on the brake pedal or it'll edge forward.

No EM light on i take it? What car is it?

R reg fiesta, but whats the EM light ???

dunova
07-01-06, 10:52 AM
Engine Management light (i think it's either orange or red on a ford-it's below the speedo). Basically though it shouldn't stall, so there's a problem somewhere.

Kinky Monza
07-01-06, 10:56 AM
Engine Management light (i think it's either orange or red on a ford-it's below the speedo). Basically though it shouldn't stall, so there's a problem somewhere.

theres no problem, i did an emergency stop in her old fiesta but that cut out after i stopped ?
the EM light is orange,

Jack
07-01-06, 12:11 PM
ned, please don't fill a serious post with your crap !!!
that deserves a LMFAO

Stuart
07-01-06, 12:57 PM
seeing as i had an auto here we go.

an emergency stop is. apply brakes hard (not to lock up, but abs will help lol) leave the vehicle in 'D' or what ever "gear" selection she had at the time the whole time until coming to a stop. when stationary move the selector to "n" or "p" and await further inctruction... (or drive off if your not in the test)

its slightly better to have the auto box in a selected gear so she has the benefit of engine braking as when in "D" it essentially declutches and all the braking work is on the brakes.... mind you id guess shes taking the test in something small (eg focus size MAX) so its not a huge issue unlike in the omega that was a slut to stop in a hurry lol

Kinky Monza
07-01-06, 07:34 PM
seeing as i had an auto here we go.

an emergency stop is. apply brakes hard (not to lock up, but abs will help lol) leave the vehicle in 'D' or what ever "gear" selection she had at the time the whole time until coming to a stop. when stationary move the selector to "n" or "p" and await further inctruction... (or drive off if your not in the test)

its slightly better to have the auto box in a selected gear so she has the benefit of engine braking as when in "D" it essentially declutches and all the braking work is on the brakes.... mind you id guess shes taking the test in something small (eg focus size MAX) so its not a huge issue unlike in the omega that was a slut to stop in a hurry lol

Thanks loads stu, thats helped no end !!!
Cheers mate !!

Snowface
08-01-06, 10:41 PM
an auto matic nova would be intersing. sure you could swap an old cav auto box somehow. or maybe they were only on big locks.

Stuart
09-01-06, 08:06 AM
why the fook would you want an autospastic FWD car? lol its only jsut bearable in RWD...