PDA

View Full Version : whats the difference between a gsi and GTE,

orange_andy
06-01-06, 11:10 AM
just wondering what the difference is engine mod and performance wise, just bored at work ! ! !

dunova
06-01-06, 11:40 AM
The gsi is the facelift version of the gte. It was introduced in 1990 (H-plate). The gsi has a black recaro cloth interior, updated bumpers, facelift grill and headlights (slimmer) and a mk2 black dash. I think that's about it.

Engine wise, most of the gte's and gsi's share the same engine (e16se), but some of the later gsi's were fitted with a c16se (fairly rare though). Both engines are 100bhp.

NovaBen
06-01-06, 03:52 PM
The GSi engine also had an extra Cam belt tensioner!

Ben 8)

loggyboy
07-01-06, 12:29 AM
Engine wise, most of the gte's and gsi's share the same engine (e16se), but some of the later gsi's were fitted with a c16se (fairly rare though). Both engines are 100bhp.

Didnt think the C16SE is not rare at all? the C16se was fitted to all GSis with a CAT, which was added around 91 (J) ish.
the c16se is easy to spot, it doesnt have the airflow metre connected to the air pipe/filter - its on the injection chamber.

e16se in a H gsi -
http://www.novaload.net/images/car_images/3078big4.jpg

the rare ones are the late 93 dispak models (no dizzycap)

allthough all run (99-100bhp), there is a lil more on tap from the Cat models as once the cat is gone it can release a few more horses.

Nick
07-01-06, 01:02 AM
As said, post 91 models had the C16SE, basically an emissioned up version.

The C16SE also had Bosche Jetronic injection i think, slightly better ECU and Injection, compared to the Siemens version on the GTE (i think my E16SE ECU was siemens - sorry if i've got completly confused)

Basically, even with the CAT the C16SE still managed to produce the same power roughly.

GTE's sometimes were a little quicker as some contained no central locking, wind-up windows e.t.c and i'd imagine the bumpers probably way a little less.

But that's nit picking

Adam
07-01-06, 01:55 PM
the rare ones are the late 93 dispak models (no dizzycap)

AFAIK, all c16se were dispak models, they weren't fitted to GSI's until late 92/93(late J/K reg), there were no dizzy c16se's i dont think.
Some J/K reg GSIs had e16se engines.

You were nearly right Nick :)
E16se used Bosch Jetronic(there was two different types of ECU used tho IIRC).
C16se uses Multec MPi management.

C16se is a better engine, no crappy AFM to stop working when it wants to. lol
And more powerful once the cat is out the way. Fueling would probably be more efficient too with it having a lambda sensor whereas the e16se dont.

Nick
07-01-06, 02:20 PM
nearly there :-D

don't have to bother with all this injection malarky when you've god a pair of carbs :-D

Tazzy
07-01-06, 04:56 PM
i thought the difference in the engines between the gsi and gte were as follows...

gte = dizzy
gsi = dispak

gte = 101bhp
gsi = 100bhp

gte = e16se
gsi = c16se

gte = none cat
gsi = cat (reason behind 1 less bhp!)

QUESTION - whats the difference between a e16se and a c16se?

Adam
07-01-06, 06:59 PM
QUESTION - whats the difference between a e16se and a c16se?
All GTE's had e16se.
SOME GSi's had e16se, SOME had c16se(Only very late GSI's)
E16se-Has a AFM, has no MAP sensor,no lambda, no cat, has its ecu in the engine bay, has a dizzy. Uses Bosch management.
C16se-Has NO afm, has a MAP sensor a lambda, cat, and its ECU is inside the car, uses dispak.
And uses Multec MPI management.

C16se is a better engine, as it produces the same power even with a cat fitted. And dispak has no wearing parts, so no rotor arm etc to replace.

I think thats everything,lol. :lol: :)

amggsi
09-01-06, 12:31 PM
e16se in a H gsi -
http://www.novaload.net/images/car_images/3078big4.jpg

Thats a nice engine there!!!!! :lol:

Will
09-01-06, 01:36 PM
c16se fitted to ALL K reg GSI's (unless it sat on the forecourt for a long time of course) all made august 1992 onwards.......

not that rare, nice engine, dispak seemed good idea and they run well, looked after ones are quick and keep going to 160k+ ;)

Riggy
09-01-06, 07:00 PM
e16se's came with both siemens and bosch ecu's

engine loom was the same just the ecu plug was different so there not interchangable

ps mine is a siemens ecu and they are the best pmsl :lol:

dunova
09-01-06, 07:35 PM
Ahem, i'd just like to point out 3 things;

1.) My 1990 gsi had an e16se ran on bosch Jetronic

As said, post 91 models had the C16SE 2.) Not necessarily true
3.) The originator of this post hasn't replyed even once :lol:

Nick
09-01-06, 09:26 PM
Ahem, i'd just like to point out 3 things;

1.) My 1990 gsi had an e16se ran on bosch Jetronic

As said, post 91 models had the C16SE 2.) Not necessarily true