PDA

View Full Version : cutting springs? yes or no...

rudeboy69r
05-01-06, 10:41 PM
i cant rearly afford to buy lowering springs as im broke so people have told me to cut them? i duno if this will work and will it sit right and will they still be affective? any ideas please..
cheers
liam

novamadcars
05-01-06, 10:45 PM
1. have you tryed this befor
2. you will need 2 get an even cut on all springs
3. just buy a secondhand set off ebay ive seen them go for as little as ?15

rudeboy69r
05-01-06, 11:06 PM
1. no i havent
2.yer i no
3. ok kool

but will the spring still sit right because it usualy gets tighter at the top and bottom so cutting this off what will it do?

novamadcars
05-01-06, 11:09 PM
im not sure mate but you would be better off buying a set as if you cut a sprimd a mm 2 short your fooked

dunova
05-01-06, 11:15 PM
The spring won't sit right, will clunk about and probably fall out. Lowering springs are also stiffer-if you just cut the standard springs, with the length they travel your car will probably just bottom out over every bump. It'll also kill your shocks quicker and fail it's MOT.

loggyboy
05-01-06, 11:24 PM
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

its stupidly dangerous and for the sake of saving ?30 (approx price of a half decent 2nd hands set of 40 or 60 mm springs) is it really worth risking?

rudeboy69r
05-01-06, 11:25 PM
o right ok cheers lads..ill have to save my money to buy sum then. any makes in mind anyone?

novamadcars
05-01-06, 11:28 PM
spax
g-max

novamadcars
05-01-06, 11:30 PM
hope this gives you an idea mate of price for secondhand ones

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-Nova-Lowering-Springs-80mm_W0QQitemZ8027688383QQcategoryZ40192QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

dunova
05-01-06, 11:32 PM
Tbh if it's just for looks i'd go for gmax. They're cheap, relatively soft and imo will lower it futher than they say. My brother lowered his sri on gmax and it sat very similar to my 80mm custom springs. My 60mm springs before that left the arse in the air (Pi) and i've seen other nova's with this problem, but from what i've seen of Gmax they seem even front and back. I think my brother managed to get his -60mm Gmax springs off of ebay for ?5 aswell :lol:

novamadcars
05-01-06, 11:34 PM
i have g-max lowering springs and thay dont give a bad ride :D

novamadman
05-01-06, 11:57 PM
I have experience of doing it on the rear but not on the front m8. Stand them on a level surface measure the height exactly. Cut the spring properly in the middle somewhere, turn the spring round until it is down whatever you want it at. Then tack it up with the welder. We done this on the rear springs of a nova tarmac rally car about 2 and a half years ago and she still has them in never gave trouble and the car handles like a cart. The only thing we had to do is weld a bit of round bar where the spring sits on the axle as it would have fallen out without it.

Goodluck whatever way u go.

Shane

novalovingned
06-01-06, 12:30 AM
i cut my front 60mm gmax springs to 80mm and have standered back springs chopped down 110mm with spring clamps holding them in place so they dont fall out and that gives a ok ride
but make sure u have another set of back springs for the mot coz its a fail for chopped springs

novalovingned

sickrabbit
06-01-06, 09:43 AM
DONT DO IT.
PO-GOING WENT OUT WITH PUNK ROCK.....

NUFF SAID.

Philsutton
06-01-06, 11:25 AM
lmao dont do it, when my brothers bought their corsa it had 60mm springs on that had been cut down so only a 3rd were left. If you want to die go ahead an get cutting, lowered springs arent even that much.

Lee
06-01-06, 06:03 PM
I cant believe this thread has lasted so long! Chopping springs is the worst thing you could do! Springs arnt just a coiled piece of metal, if they were we could just buy a big long one and chop off what we wanted!

Its fuck ing dangerous on a road car, if you do it you may as well ram it into a tree yourself to save yourself the shock when the car does it for you!

rudeboy69r
08-01-06, 09:31 PM
alright boys cheers for all the advise.im buying some from POTN.Com there like 60 odd quid.... cheers lads

Riggy
09-01-06, 06:49 PM
lol ive only just seen this thread :o

are you all fucking mad :o

DO NOT CUT SPRINGS :twisted: