PDA

View Full Version : Uprating the thermostat

beavy69
04-01-06, 12:45 AM
my uncle reckons that if I have an efficient cooling system in good condition, perfomance might benifit from a higher engine temperature.

I put it to you, people:

a) good idea?
b) does anyone know a suitable thermostat I can use? Or can they be adjusted?

ta much!

Stuart
04-01-06, 07:46 AM
erm id leave as is imho...

craig green
04-01-06, 01:54 PM
Depends on the engine beavis.

The 2.0 XE 16v is better with a cool running stat that is available. Not all engines (8v) need this. They are a different fitment anyway.

If you want to help it run cooler, you can drill a couple small holes in the stat body. This will allow some water into the rad when warming up. The stat can be removed in the summer but it'll take forever to warm up then.

Best leave alone.

beavy69
05-01-06, 12:38 PM
OK doesn't seem worth the hassle it'll prob cause, cheers guys.

mowgli
06-01-06, 07:30 PM
most nova run quite warm, & tuned engines produce more heat, you could fit a diesel stat (from astra d) which lowers the running temp.

Your uncle is quite right, the nearer to its max operating temperature an engine gets, the more efficient it will run. The only problem is it could also blow up unless it is in 100% perfect condition.

Stuart
07-01-06, 12:30 PM
not the "lst" ppc, but the one before that where Dave vizzard goes through thermal efficiency etc, he sattes that a cooler running engine is better in terms of power since the charge wont be as hot and you can run more aggressive ign advance etc...

so yes running hot will make it more fuel efficient, but i guess thats where the trade off is